Recording Live Looping Performance Session

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Tavish

Recording Live Looping Performance Session

Post by Tavish » Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:50 pm

Hey! So I just got myself a Push 2 and have been fiddling around with a live looping setup - preset vsts but no preloaded clips. I would like to record the whole performance (which I do in session view) into a single audio file so I can upload to YouTube etc. There are a couple of ways I've tried it but they each have an issue:

1. Arming Master Record and recording into arrangement and then exporting the WAV/MP3 - This works fine as long as I'm playing the vsts but the moment I record a clip which starts looping in the arrangement, I lose all overdub ability. When performing in the session view, I can record a clip and still be able to play notes over it while it's looping. Don't want to lose this feature.
2. Setting a Resample channel in the Session View - I can record arm and start recording but the moment I select another channel on the push, it stops the recording clip. That's no use.
3. Using a separate stereo out channel into an external recording device - way too complicated. There has to be a simpler way.

I saw this video by SonicMech on Youtube and messged him about how he records his live performances. He recommended a Max4Live device called Bit Voltage - Quick Recorder which sits on a separate track and isn't affected by record arming other channels. It just records all audio. Unfortunately, that device isn't available any more. Any of you out there know of a similar device that I can use? Or a way to record a live performance set? Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks!

alpertt

Re: Recording Live Looping Performance Session

Post by alpertt » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:19 pm

You dont need m4L, resample (your no2) is the way to go.

Go to preferences>Record-Warp-Launch and untick Arm exclusive.
Now your resample channel will continue when you record arm other track(s).

Tavish

Post by Tavish » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:52 pm

alpertt wrote:You dont need m4L, resample (your no2) is the way to go.

Go to preferences>Record-Warp-Launch and untick Arm exclusive.
Now your resample channel will continue when you record arm other track(s).
Hey alpertt! I tried that as well. The moment I hit the record button on the Push to record a clip on one of the instrument channels, it stops the recording clip in the Resample channel. So that doesn't really work. Any other suggestions?

alpertt

Post by alpertt » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:46 pm

Select all boxes in resampling channel, right click, delete stop button

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:16 pm

*bookmark*

Tavish

Post by Tavish » Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:18 am

alpertt wrote:Select all boxes in resampling channel, right click, delete stop button
Tried that too. Had only one clip in the resample channel and deleted the rest of the stop buttons. Tried recording into a new scene and it immediately ends the recording on the Resample channel.