Convert to midi drums / Midi Velocities

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Soundtrackband

Convert to midi drums / Midi Velocities

Post by Soundtrackband » Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:10 pm

Greetings,

I'm using the convert to MIDI for drums feature, still in Ableton 9, and what I'm getting out:

A. does not seem accurate in terms of velocities, though it IS mostly accurate in terms of hits/notes.

B. When I view the velocities, they don't come out separated, which to me, seems like a complete fail. I shouldn't have to drag select the instrument whose velocities I'm trying to select and move. (this doesn't seem to work at all anyway, let alone well or efficiently). This forces me to create duplicates of the midi tracks which means more instances of the VST. In the case of Superior Drummer, this is very CPU intensive. I'd rather just have one instance of the VST (audio unit in my case.)

C. Can anyone tell me what I'm missing here, and has this improved at all in Live 10?

wearemindflux

Re: Convert to midi drums / Midi Velocities

Post by wearemindflux » Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:54 am

Why dont you just use drum racks?

And when in there just adjust in the instrument how much the velocity
Grab your free techno samples here>>>http://bit.ly/2YAS8so

Willyum

Post by Willyum » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:13 pm

You have to help Live with the transient detection.. After, your results will come out 10x better... All of the 'convert' functions seem to rely heavily on those transient markers (not just warp markers, although they help also). You gotta zoom in a little and make sure they are in their place because Live is still pretty horrible at transient detection compared to other Daws that I have used.... this also aplies to regular Audio Warping... When you hear other peoples songs, and although you can't quite put your finger on what's wrong, you can usually tell that they made it in Ableton Live... it's because the transient and warp markers are not quite right, and usually not using the appropriate algorithm. Once both are set right Live is the most perfect daw on the planet!!!

Soundtrackband

Post by Soundtrackband » Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:57 am

Thanks for this tip, but I'm using the convert to midi on entire songs. I actually haven't done much transient placing, so if you could elaborate more in depth, or send me a good overview, that would be great. I'm really appallled by how the midi control is in Ableton. There are giant gaps in the functionality, and it really makes me want to tear my hair out. I like this DAW for several things, but midi editing is just absolutely unacceptably bad in its ergonomics. It's like they put zero effort into that area, and right after a supposed giant upgrade cost. This company really seems to be jumping the shark to me.