Analog stereo compressor on master for Live performance

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
kevinreynoldsdetroit

Analog stereo compressor on master for Live performance

Post by kevinreynoldsdetroit » Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:29 pm

I've been seeing a few guys plug an analog stereo compressor / limiter / leveler on the master out of their Ableton (post audio interface, pre analog pro mixer or dj mixer).

I'm usually playing unmastered parts live, using the utility gain on each channel to keep it somewhat safe but I still struggle with the consistent volumes at times. I've used a bit of native Ableton compression and limiting on the master before but feel like it eats away at my sound. I will say the sound has improved since I started using the TR-8S as my master sound card over the Duet. Curious to what people think about introducing an extra link in the chain with say a FMR RNC?

My usual setup is Ableton using the TR-8S as audio out into usually a DJ mixer and occasionally a proper mixer... then off to the venue mains.

Thanks in advance!

miyaru

Re: Analog stereo compressor on master for Live performance

Post by miyaru » Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:24 pm

RNC are nice compressors, they sound very musical. You can't go very wrong with it, altough it ain't no high class compressor. I guess you allready figured out what is your budget, and that it will fit in.......

Try to find a second hand one, and if you don't like sell it again.
Greetings from Miyaru.
Prodaw i7-7700, 16Gb Ram, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen, ESI M4U eX, Reason 12, Live Suit 10, Push2, Presonus Eris E8 and Monitor Station V2, Lexicon MPX1,
Korg N1, Yamaha RM1x :mrgreen: