Browser very slow to update with new content-bug in 10.0.5?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
carlcaulkett

Browser very slow to update with new content-bug in 10.0.5?

Post by carlcaulkett » Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:00 pm

Hello, I've just installed Live Suite 10.0.5 and I've just downloaded a Live set (.als) file and added it to a folder in Places. I did this at 20:00 and it still hasn't shown up in the browser at 20:55. I've been used to the browser talikng maybe 10 minutes to re-index, or whatever it does, but this delay is a little excessive, I would have thought. I don't know if the upgrade to 10.0.5 has anything to do with it. Thoughts, anyone?
Last edited by carlcaulkett on Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

carlcaulkett

Re: Browser very slow to update with new content- bug in 10.0.5?

Post by carlcaulkett » Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:36 pm

I tried dragging in the project from Finder into Live's browser (I'm on a Mac) and I got an error saying that the project already existed, even though it wasn't showing.

I then deleted the .als file from the Finder folder and then dragged the .als package from my downloads folder directly into Live's browser and that seemed to work, although it still took a few minutes for the project's sub-folders to show up.

I'd say this could be a bug in 10.0.5!

jestermgee

Re: Browser very slow to update with new content-bug in 10.0.5?

Post by jestermgee » Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:24 pm

I'm on a Mac
I'm no mac expert but there are different versions of Mac with different specs and such. Maybe some of those details (such as CPU speed, HDD type, Ram and what not) would help people to determine if your computer is part of the problem.

A new Ableton Live installation can take some time (and some more time on a mechanical drive in a potato) to do its initial indexing.

carlcaulkett

Post by carlcaulkett » Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:55 pm

I should have mentioned that I first installed 10.0.3 about two weeks ago and then upgraded to 10.0.4 and then 10.0.5, so whatever indexing Live had to do, it's had two weeks in which to do it!

TheCoil

Post by TheCoil » Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:59 pm

I saved some new files to a project folder last night and, between last night and this morning, the index process has been running for about 4-5 hours and the files still haven't shown up yet.

[tow]

Post by [tow] » Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:44 pm

If you keep observing problems with this in Live 10.0.5, please contact our Support via https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us.

carlcaulkett

Post by carlcaulkett » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:37 pm

I had an email from Miles M in Ableton support. Following his recommendation, I moved all my "Places" to be sub-folders of one folder. It seemed to help. The email reads...

<quote>
Hello Carl,

Thank you for contacting Technical Support.

1. It appears that your Noiselab folder is located on the root of your drive. Please put It in a folder that is not located on the root level of your drive.

2. Next, make sure that this folder has no photos or video files. Lives indexer has issues accessing file types such as these.

This goes for all other folders in your places tab of Live's browser.

3 Let us know how this works for you once you have gone through and checked all of your others.

4. Lastly,

Unfortunately, Mojave is not supported yet so we recommend that you downgrade to High Sierra for now.
While some features may work sometimes other may not consistently.
For more information regarding compatibility please see this article.

https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/artic ... patibility

We unfortunately do not have a release date for when an update for Live/Mojave compatibility will be released.

Let us know if you have any other questions or issues.

Cheers

-Miles M
Ableton Inc.
</quote>

TheCoil

Post by TheCoil » Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:15 am

This isn't a 10.0.5 issue for me, this is just typical browser behavior since they started using this index function.

carlcaulkett

Post by carlcaulkett » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:19 pm

TheCoil wrote:This isn't a 10.0.5 issue for me, this is just typical browser behavior since they started using this index function.
As I said, the folder rearrangements suggested by Miles M helped a great deal, and evryting in my Places seem to be present and correct. I'm sure that you are correct and this is indeed the typical behaviour. The trick seems to be a case of making the delays less prevalent, rather than categorically removing them altogether. It's not ideal, but I can live with it!

oboemaroni

Post by oboemaroni » Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:25 am

Just want to chip in and ask if anyone else is still experiencing this? In Windows 10 I'm finding the browser takes a long time to refresh and update with new content e.g. I just saved a set, then opened another set and wanted to drag a track from the first set to the second, but the first set still isn't visible in the browser 20 minutes later, despite being available when I go to File/Open. It's weird and a total workflow killer!

oboemaroni

Post by oboemaroni » Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:26 am

I'm on 10.1.1 btw

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:20 am

oboemaroni wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:26 am
I'm on 10.1.1 btw
Why not updating to the latest version (currently L10.1.25)?
Ableton Forum Moderator