Max For Live LFO Song Tempo

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
ThomasJuve

Max For Live LFO Song Tempo

Post by ThomasJuve » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:12 am

Hi all,

Like other people, I'm having a problem trying to use the LFO (Max For Live) device to affect the Song Tempo : I just mapped the LFO (put on the Master track, also tried on any track) to the Song Tempo, I pushed Play and saw the tempo of the song go wild. Cool it seemed to work as stated in other threads. However, it looks like it works, but it doesn't sound like it : I made a simple midi loop but the tempo of the playback didn't change (visually yes, sonically no).
Am I missing something to link the Song Tempo (changing for real) to the "playback speed" ?
I tried to adjust the rate, offset etc. so the values of the Song Tempo get more classical and easier to be reproduced and still nothing.
Did anyone find a solution ? I read other people had this problem several years ago.

Thank you very much in advance!
Cheers from France

Thomas

hoffman2k

Re: Max For Live LFO Song Tempo

Post by hoffman2k » Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:36 pm

Is the rate synced or free-running?
Synced would always be an issue. The LFO get its synced rate from the current song tempo. So the LFO rate would change along with the tempo. As the tempo slows down, so would the rate. What you expected to be a second, could turn into a minute.

And if the LFO is free-running, but at a fixed rate.. You'd be better off just drawing the automation for the Song Tempo.

ThomasJuve

Post by ThomasJuve » Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:29 pm

Hi Hoffman,

Thanks for your reply. Indeed, I had tried both ways (synced and free running) but none of them works.
Too bad.

Thanks anyway
TJ

pottering

Post by pottering » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:53 pm

When I try that, it is pretty clear the BPM gets immediately disabled (numbers change color to show that) when I assign it with LFO.

I guess it is simply not allowed.
♥♥♥

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:34 am

Yep, it's long-standing known bug.
Ableton Forum Moderator