CPU Overload

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Hyperconfidence

CPU Overload

Post by Hyperconfidence » Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:26 am

Hi Guys,
Another Ableton CPU overload prob. I'm freezing samples, lowering sample rate etc, but still maxes out.
Weird thing is my laptop is 32GBRAM with a XEON processor etc, so rocket fast. When I check the processing at Ableton CPU overload, Ableton is only using about 10% (or less) of the laptops processing power, with nothing else open so WTF?
Thanks in advance.
DELL Precision 5520 32GBRAM 7th Gen Xeon E3, PUSH 2, Roland Duo Capture EX, AKG Mic, Novation Launchkey 49, Novation Launchpad 2. Plenty of Waves and NI Plug-Ins. Total noob with computer hardware, but a fast learner.

lovelight

Re: CPU Overload

Post by lovelight » Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:36 am

Hi

Ive had the same problem, and then i followed this and it was a big change, no cpu overload.

https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-gb/ ... Windows-10

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:06 am

Few questions that may help others to help you

What is your track count? How many tracks are you trying to run at a time?
What are the devices you are running? What synths and effects are loaded on your track?
What is the buffer setting you have your audio interface set to?
Are you running the ASIO driver for your interface?
Have you enabled your "high performance" power profile settings so the CPU isn't inconveniently throttled?

Hyperconfidence

Post by Hyperconfidence » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:19 am

Thanks guys. Totally fixed.
Changed the DELL power settings and it went from stalling completely over 100% to averaging about 30%.
I feel stupid, but much appreciated.
The track in question was running four massive tracks all with a tonne of effects, plus an long
masterchain.
Surprisingly, it still had audio drop outs on the track running BOOST plug in by Sample Magic. It's a CPU shocker!

jestermgee wrote:Few questions that may help others to help you

What is your track count? How many tracks are you trying to run at a time?
What are the devices you are running? What synths and effects are loaded on your track?
What is the buffer setting you have your audio interface set to?
Are you running the ASIO driver for your interface?
Have you enabled your "high performance" power profile settings so the CPU isn't inconveniently throttled?
DELL Precision 5520 32GBRAM 7th Gen Xeon E3, PUSH 2, Roland Duo Capture EX, AKG Mic, Novation Launchkey 49, Novation Launchpad 2. Plenty of Waves and NI Plug-Ins. Total noob with computer hardware, but a fast learner.

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:27 pm

It's probably one of the most common causes of issues for PC users, especially laptop users and I am certain a number have "upgraded" to Mac because they have had issues on PC, namely not knowing how to tune a PC for production.

Check your BIOS/EFI settings too to make sure it's not on some power saving setting. Other things that can help ease frustrations is to make sure USB/HDD power saving is also switched off and that any services/startup software that is not required is also disabled.

Hyperconfidence

Post by Hyperconfidence » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:01 am

Huge improvement thank you! But Jeeez it chews power quickly!
I'll check all those other suggestions, and thanks heaps again :)

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:29 am

Yeah laptops specifically will have power saving features enables for battery life but when doing real-time processing with high CPU demand you don't want the OS managing what it "thinks" you need for CPU, it is often completely wrong. Not something you want to be doing purely off battery. If you use your laptop for multiple purposes you may want a power management widget or shortcut to switch from full power to power saving modes when you need.