EQ/Master levels for simple mixes so they sound even

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
hermace

EQ/Master levels for simple mixes so they sound even

Post by hermace » Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:12 pm

I am a DJ and use Ableton for making bootlegs, mashups, mixtapes, etc. One issue I have that takes waayyyy more time than it should is getting everything at the same volume. I get my tracks, instrumentals, and acapellas from all over the place so they are all mastered differently and have different quality, bitrate, etc. For example, you can imagine the discrepancy on volume levels when mixing a classic rock song from the 70's with a current EDM track. Even if the mix sounds right on Ableton when I export it it is all out of whack...vocals are louder or softer and tracks come in too hot etc. I understand you lose quality when exporting but I'm talking about how tracks sound in relation to the other tracks in the mix not how they sound independently. I am not looking for anything too in depth on mastering just curious is there a plug-in or device in live that can help me adjust the gain to get everything at the same level. I don't even want to get into adjusting highs/lows/mids just something as simple as should I adjust the gain +1/-1. Thanks.

wearemindflux

Re: EQ/Master levels for simple mixes so they sound even

Post by wearemindflux » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:58 am

Hi, you don't lose any quality if you get the elements right in the first place.

When importing the tracks, match the volumes, so nothing peaks over -6dB.

From there EQ to stop clutter of frequencies.

Now level again not going over -6dB. (Do not adjust the master)

Now export.

Bring the pre-master into a new session and put a limiter on it and increase the gain a bit.
Grab your free techno samples here>>>http://bit.ly/2YAS8so

hermace

Post by hermace » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:50 pm

Good advice thank you

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:34 pm

If you can find a cheap LUFS meter, that would be the easiest way to get them all at the same volume. If you're on a Mac, Myriad is a batch processor that can set the levels of all tracks to the same LUFS value in one go. It's not free, but pretty cheap and really useful for multiple reasons like this.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

hermace

Post by hermace » Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:36 pm

wearemindflux wrote:Hi, you don't lose any quality if you get the elements right in the first place.

When importing the tracks, match the volumes, so nothing peaks over -6dB.

From there EQ to stop clutter of frequencies.

Now level again not going over -6dB. (Do not adjust the master)

Now export.

Bring the pre-master into a new session and put a limiter on it and increase the gain a bit.
So I should export then bring the wav file I exported back into a new session?

hermace

Post by hermace » Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:12 pm

Tarekith wrote:If you can find a cheap LUFS meter, that would be the easiest way to get them all at the same volume. If you're on a Mac, Myriad is a batch processor that can set the levels of all tracks to the same LUFS value in one go. It's not free, but pretty cheap and really useful for multiple reasons like this.
This is exactly what I'm looking for thanks!