Make one instrument independent from scene launch?

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
Splepp

Make one instrument independent from scene launch?

Post by Splepp » Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:17 pm

Hello
I have a will working system Weir midi automation that allows me to play improvised music.
It words with midi commands scene Up, scene down and scene launch by automaton and by foot button.
But now I want 1 instrument that is not influenced by this midi commands or only once. Is that possible?

More detailed:
I have an extra midi trace. It contains two midi signals at the end of each musical part. Regulary this contains scene down an at the very end "Launch (next) scene". This just plays scene after scene. Excepted I select another scene by foot controller. Then this one is played next.

But on solo parts it contains only " scene launch" after the length of one chorus.This is like "loop" as long as I go down ( out select another) one scene by foot controller it plays this one at the end of the chorus.

But now I want more variability in the drums.
So I have 2 or more variations of the drums part.
I want to trigger this once the solo part starts. But then I want it to follow the a/b follow action.... But it still follows the "scene launch" command...

Any idea?
Stefan

chrk

Re: Make one instrument independent from scene launch?

Post by chrk » Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:25 pm

Though I can't fully wrap my head around your workflow now, I'd think 7.4.2 Removing Clip Stop Buttons is your friend.

You put each of your drum variations in a scene on its own and remove the clip stop buttons from all other tracks in that scene so they keep playing what's been started in the previous scene.

chrk

Post by chrk » Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:30 pm

And read up on 13.6 Follow Actions, especially on the group feature:
A clip’s Follow Action defines what happens to other clips in the same group after the clip plays. A group is defined by clips arranged in successive slots of the same track. Tracks can have an unlimited number of groups, separated by empty slots.

Bartho

Post by Bartho » Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:04 pm

Hi chrk
THanks for your answer!

Yes...already tried this.
But it doesnt work.
Guess the main Problem is the starting point.
I try to describe it more detailed:

example:
I play live instruments with using Abletton as my band.
lets consider a very easy song structure.
Only drums. So I have two groups only. drums and midi-contoller clips.

Let the structure be A(8bars) - B(8 bars)- SOLO8(8bars *X) - A(8bars)

I refer to the solo part:
I have 3s lightliy different drum clips and I want to hear all of them randomly during the solo with probability of 1/3.

The midi clips for A and B are: 7 bars emty, in the last bar on 8.3. there is a 1/8 "tooth" on controller 41 wich I linked to "scene down" and a second 1/8 "tooth" on controller 40, that I linked to "scene launch".

This chooses the next scene and launches it.
This way I have the natural automatical progression from scene to scene and from part to part.
When I'm in last A for example, I can decide spontanuously to play a second solo.
while playing in A I choose B by foot and when last A is finished it sends scene down (this goes to SOLO part) and scene launch and part SOLO starts again

The midi clip for SOLO is: 7 bars emty, in the last bar on 8.4. a "tooth" on midi controller 40 that I linked to "scene launch"
This repeats the scene until I choose next scene manually by foot (one click only)
Of course this is also possible without the midi signal "Launch"
But then I would need two clicks with my feet (scene down AND scene launch) to go to the next part. playing live organ with two hands and two feet thats overtaxing me)

NOW MY PROBLEM
I come from scene B to SOLO automatically with "scene down" command and "scene launch" command.
Then I'm in SOLO part.
Then after 8 bars the midi signal "launch scene" is sended again from my midi clip what repeats the scene.

So after 8 bars the concerning scene restarts...AND SO DOES THE FIRST OF MY DRUM CLIPS (Bars) whatever he choosed to follow by follow action...

I need the drum clip to get started ...but by what?
If I try to get it started by the "launch scene" comand (like the other clips in the scene) then this repeats all 8 bars and I always hear the same drum variation...
This is what actual happens.
I need some 1-timer...the first clip has to get started.
once its running it should not get influecnced by restarting the scene.
But it should get finished by launching the next scene (A again in the example)

Maybe somebody has experiences with this or good ideas?
I use Ableton 9 suite with M4L

pottering

Post by pottering » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:44 pm

If you set a Clip to Legato it will start playback from the current playing position when triggered, basically resulting in no change, when you re-trigger the same Clip that was already playing. Plus removing the "Stop" buttons in the other slots in the Track should result in what you want (if I understand correctly, your post is a bit confusing).

https://www.ableton.com/en/manual/launc ... egato-mode
♥♥♥

Bartho

Post by Bartho » Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:09 am

Hi Pottering
This sounded like a good idea, but it fails too.

In the moment I use only ONE drums "collumn" (how is this called in Ableton...instrument?)
So while the scene keeps the same the drum variations want to move vertically by "follow action"
But the "scene launche command force them to restart the first clip at any repetition.

I could solve iteasely by canceling the mid clip with the "scene launch" button and looping all clips excepted the drums.

The only problem is, that I need two different buttons and 4 manual actions then to change to the next scene. And because of improvising this is too much.

it looks like this (using my simple example from above extended with bass):

Code: Select all

Part A dr           Part A bass      part A midi (ctrl 41 at 8.3; ctr.40 at  8.4)
Part B dr           Part B bass      part B midi (ctrl 41 at 8.3; ctr.40 at  8.4)
Part SOLO var 1 dr  Part COLO bass   part SOLO midi (             ctr.40 at  8.4)
Part SOLO var 2 dr
Part SOLO var 3 dr
Part C dr           Part C bass      part C midi (ctrl 41 at 8.3; ctr.40 at  8.4)
Ctrl. 41 is "scene down"; Ctrl 40 is "scene launch"

Taking away the ctrl 40 on SOLO part and looping the bass part instead I have to press 3 times "scene down" and once "scene launch"- AND THIS IN TIME on my additional foot controller to leave the solo part.

While improvising on real instruments this is too much. I need a ONE ACTION

Before it looked like this

Code: Select all

Part A dr           Part A bass      part A midi (ctrl 41 at 8.3; ctr.40 at  8.4)
Part B dr           Part B bass      part B midi (ctrl 41 at 8.3; ctr.40 at  8.4)
Part SOLO dr        Part COLO bass   part SOLO midi (             ctr.40 at  8.4)
Part C dr           Part C bass      part C midi (ctrl 41 at 8.3; ctr.40 at  8.4)
Because of the automated midi signal ctrl 40 on the correct time i had not to care about the timing to decide that I will finish my solo just at the end of this part. When I decided to leave the solo part, I pressed "scene down" on my foot controller once at any time in the last chorus and at the end of the running part it changed to part C juswt at the correct moment

All my effort is to keep it as simple...
A ONE ACTION on my foot controller to leave a running solo part just at the musical end of the running solo part.