Reverb plug in for Dub Techno?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Tarekith

Reverb plug in for Dub Techno?

Post by Tarekith » Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:24 pm

Been awhile since I looked into reverbs and I've got a new project I need a new one for. Normally I'd use Live's reverbs, but for this I need something I can also use in Maschine or other DAWs people might have. Was planning on going with something from Valhalla (not sure which yet) or Pro-R, but open to other recommendations.

I don't need realism, plates, springs, actual modeled places, etc. Mainly looking for lush, dark, and long. No dongles, must be AU. Ideas?
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

jestermgee

Re: Reverb plug in for Dub Techno?

Post by jestermgee » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:09 pm

Your probably like me, I try and stick as close as possible to stock Live FX (which mostly do a very good and efficient job). The other Reverbs I have in my tool box that I use often are:

Eventide UltraReverb
It's pretty decent and does the room/hall/plate types with adjustments and filters to tame the sound quick and easy. It's probably the one I use the most over ableton stock reverb and the one I have loaded on my default template.

SoundToys EchoBoy
I was really impressed at how nice this sounded on strings and piano. It's a hybrid delay/reverb effect which just sounds really crisp and has the right kind of delay effects to be subtle but really expand a sound with little effort which is good because half the time I have no idea what I am doing but certainly one really nice effect that has enough useful presets to give you a quick starting point for any style of instrument.

EastWest QLSpaces Reverb
This is probably the least impressive one but is a quick and easy one to get a "preset" reverb sound. It has almost no controls other than input signal, dry/wet mix and pre-delay with the actual reverb sound being the preset you select. I got it with a bundle from EastWest and it sounds pretty good but can be frustrating when you want to just tweak like the decay of the reverb and you cannot, you need to flip to another preset but for quick and easy space it's pretty good.

I'm personally happy with just those 3 and the Live reverb for most stuff I do but always looking for another really nice and affordable reverb effect so would be interested to see other recommendations. I am sure all these would be AU compatible but I am on PC so you would have to check.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:22 pm

Thanks man!
Tarekith

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:22 am

I think I might do dub techno. I have no idea.

I have one of those Doepfer spring reverbs in my rack. It sounds OKayish.
I've heard a baseless rumour that consequently my entire live set uses Ableton's Convolution Pro, Type:09 IR: Amazing Springs. On every single song.
:|

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:29 am

Ok, I think I need to summarize what I need better and more succinctly:

- Can't be Live or Max plug ins.
- Must be AU plug in.
- I don't give a poop about springs, plates, or realism.
- Screw dongles.

:)
Tarekith

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:13 am

Tarekith wrote: - Can't be Live or Max plug ins.
Surreal Machines have ported their Magnetic/Diffuse M4L to VST/AU. Ok, that's kind of funny... but they sound amazing and totally dub (isn't the Live pack called Dub Machines btw?).

You can't go wrong with Valhalla. I still haven't bought any, but I've tried them (the demo versions just fade the sound out every here and then) and they're really good and versatile.
Angstrom wrote:
my entire live set uses Ableton's Convolution Pro, Type:09 IR: Amazing Springs.
:|
It's my default Spring return, love it.
Ableton Forum Moderator

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:05 am

Cheers man.
Tarekith

miyaru

Post by miyaru » Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:49 am

Valhalla is good too, but I don't know if it fits your genre......
Greetings from Miyaru.
Prodaw i7-7700, 16Gb Ram, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen, ESI M4U eX, Reason 12, Live Suit 10, Push2, Presonus Eris E8 and Monitor Station V2, Lexicon MPX1,
Korg N1, Yamaha RM1x :mrgreen:

Afturmath

Post by Afturmath » Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:22 pm

Eventide reverbs are great, but I would recommend Black Hole over UltraReverb. Black Hole is based on the "Space" reverb algorithm with all the cosmic spaciness you'd expect in dub techno. Otherworldly "room" sizes, useful built-in modulation, and amazing response to size and gravity modulation (tape echo sounds). I make a lot of minimal and dub techno, and the "Space" algorithm on the DSP4000, Space pedal, H9, or Black Hole plugin has been my go-to FX verb for over 10 years.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:38 pm

Cheers!
Tarekith

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:03 pm

Handily that's 60% off right now also !
The joys of Black Friday being about 2 weeks long ;-)

oratowsky

Post by oratowsky » Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:11 pm

+1 for Eventide Black Hole. just great. would fit dub techno vibe super well i believe.

I also use soundtoys little plate a lot. It is a plate sound but decay can be extended way long. AU and no dongle

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:54 pm

Thanks everyone, I ended up getting Blackhole since it was on sale and it's exactly what I was looking for. I appreciate all the tips.
Tarekith

justanametouse

Post by justanametouse » Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:44 pm

I like d16's Toraverb 2, but it may not be everyone's cup of tea. I also think their Fazortan 2 is the best phaser on the market, which is essential for dubby stuff. I'm going to sound like an advertisement, but yeah, d16 doesn't get enough love compared to SoundToys, FabFilter, etc...

lalakulo

Post by lalakulo » Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:30 pm

Toneboosters Reverb 4

Smooth, lush, warm reverb Fully customizable sound Analog-modelled equalizer Compress, gate, duck, freeze Dual pitch-shift shimmer Beat-synced LFO Easy to use, scalable interface VST, VST3, AU, AAX format 32-384 kHz sample rate Mono, Stereo; 5.1 (VST3, AU, AAX)

Only 30 euro.

https://www.toneboosters.com/tb_reverb_v4.html