MPE support.

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.

Are you avoiding or ditching Live due to lack of MPE support?

Yes, it's becoming really important.
87%
No, I don't care.
13%

Total votes: 181

Sargentpilcher

Re: MPE support.

Post by Sargentpilcher » Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:07 am

annihilator.1 wrote:Hi

I don't use a ROLI or other MPE input device but,
I do often create instrument racks with instrument(s) per note, so can see the need for a MPE capable synth &/or lives current synths needing to add support, in my use case changing a preset & automation of chords would be far simpler.

Lee
You seriously hit the nail on the head. I DO have a ROLI and I like the idea of MPE compatibility, so I got bitwig, and you can program in some really cool stuff very easily with their per note automation. It's actually REALLY cool.

marlasky

Post by marlasky » Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:55 am

I am new to this topic. A few years ago I started out experimenting with 'electronic music' and after some research settled on Ableton Live as my DAW. I have been learning slowly, and been very happy so far.
That is until now...my interest has changed/expanded somewhat, and thanks to some increase in budget, I have been able to dive into hardware synthesis. For next year, I am looking into the Linnstrument to control my synth, and that is how I came across MPE, and the lack of support in Ableton.
Apart from that, my old mac mini will be needing a replacement in the (near) future, and as I do not intend to buy any mac that is not user-upgradeable, and want to avoid windows as much as possible, Linux looks perfect. Now if only Ableton could match Bitwig on MPE and Linux support...

Worldpeace

Post by Worldpeace » Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:11 am

i really, REALLY HOPE AND WISH, ableton will release an update for LiVE 10 that has MPE support.
My setup is based around the PUSH 2 and a roli seaboard. its a total disaster.

The current state of affairs has essentially ruined my workflow. Its a nightmare, period. Even beyond the cumbersome workarounds of setting up 16 MIDI tracks with a host, and having to arm them all and disarm them all individual, and beyond the fact that that only gets you one track of an MPE instrument, within a track that will definitely have many layers of different MPE tracks.
one is then in the possibly worse position where editing is nearly impossible, and most definitely not functional in session view.

Please ableton. please. Help us. Give us some indication if we should hold our breath or not.

:?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:57 am

+1 as I’m waiting for my seaboard to arrive today.
The “16 tracks” workaround is not a real solution since it makes midi effects unusable. And automation editing a nightmare.
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1

thomashalp

Post by thomashalp » Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:44 pm

another +321932 from me.
Eagerly but also anxiously searching for information on this every single day :cry:

zerfranzt

Post by zerfranzt » Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:44 am

I HOPE AND WISH, ableton will release an update for LiVE 10 that has MPE Support!!!!!!!

thomashalp

Post by thomashalp » Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:16 am

this is getting weirder and weirder

http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2018/ ... e-of-midi/

the positive me says that this means they're waiting for the mpe or other midi standard to be formed before they decide to implement it.
The negative me says that they are being hypocrits and have to intention of implementing any of this ever

They should at least start by allowing certain messages to pass trough in the first place, without actively stripping them from the midi signals....

Allphil4

Post by Allphil4 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:40 pm

Bitwig implements it really well. I've been using Ableton for around 10 years now so would prefer not to switch at this stage. Hopefully Ableton and NI joining MMA means that MPE will be in there in the future. It's a bit frustrating how silent Ableton is about things. All they need to say is that they're looking into it and working out how to implement, and a number of people will at least be slightly comforted.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:06 pm

Allphil4 wrote: All they need to say is that they're looking into it and working out how to implement, and a number of people will at least be slightly comforted.
and an even larger number of people will spit outraged vitriol... there's no appeasing an end user who flippantly demands that coders just...

thomashalp

Post by thomashalp » Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:26 pm

Have been in touch with the artist relation team, and they said the following

- Are aware of the need for mpe
- Are working on it
- Dont want to rush its implementation because when not done properly it will result in a poor user experienc

I'm also guessing they are taking it slow because the actual format seems to be still developing and might be consolidated into midi 3.0

Phende

Post by Phende » Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:53 pm

Just another frustrated +1

alec.tron

Post by alec.tron » Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:35 pm

thomashalp wrote:this is getting weirder and weirder
http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2018/ ... e-of-midi/
Interesting...!
thomashalp wrote:the positive me says
My semi positive take - there could also be a push3 in the works with fully formed MPE capabilities... marketing wise, if seen from that angle it would also make sense to hold back releasing MPE for Live... so Ableton users are hesitant buying into MPE devices from other manufacturers for now.

c.

thomashalp

Post by thomashalp » Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:17 pm

alec.tron wrote:
thomashalp wrote:the positive me says
marketing wise, if seen from that angle it would also make sense to hold back releasing MPE for Live... so Ableton users are hesitant buying into MPE devices from other manufacturers for now.

c.
thats actually a good point.

They did tell me they were working on it..
So lets be patient a couple of more months and then get out our pitchforks again lol

spitfire31

Post by spitfire31 » Sat Dec 22, 2018 2:36 pm

thomashalp wrote:Have been in touch with the artist relation team, and they said the following

- Are aware of the need for mpe
- Are working on it
- Dont want to rush its implementation because when not done properly it will result in a poor user experienc

I'm also guessing they are taking it slow because the actual format seems to be still developing and might be consolidated into midi 3.0
Well, MPE seems to be mature enough for Apple to include it in Logic, so…

In February, I'm going to get me a Seaboard 25 Rise for my Audio Modeling saxes and strings, so I guess I'll have to put Live 10 in the freezer and re-learn Logic… ;-)

Seriously, it's high time for Ableton to show some leadership here.

/Joachim

thomashalp

Post by thomashalp » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:59 pm

bump

installed bitwig today i've had enough