Ableton Live 10 - Global Quantization Delay? Is this a Bug?

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
Envinite

Ableton Live 10 - Global Quantization Delay? Is this a Bug?

Post by Envinite » Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:27 am

Hello everyone. I encountered this unexpected behavior of Global Quantization when triggering clips (Ableton Live 10 - 10.0.1).

On normal condition, with 1 Bar Quantization, the clip playing will change after a bar regardless when exactly you trigger another clips.

In my case, the Quantization does work, but there's an unexpected behavior:
  • - If a clip is playing, and I trigger another clip during its first to third beats, the clip playing will change exactly after one bar.
    - However, if a clip is playing, and I trigger another clip during its fourth beat, the clip playing will change two beats after that one bar.
    - Interestingly, I noticed that this delay behavior only happens when Global Quantization set to 1 Bar and 2 Bar.
This happens on every MIDI & Audio clips on EVERY tracks & groups.

I noticed this behavior only happened on the newest save of my latest project. On the older saves of the same project, the quantization behaves normally.

I have checked my Global Quantization option. All my clips are also set to follow Global Quantization within the Launch Box option. The settings are basically the same with the older save of the same project but somehow it behaves differently. There's also no problem on the latency.

My best guess is that his is a bug? I don't think I ever see this on my previous projects using Live 10, neither does in Live 9.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

jestermgee

Re: Ableton Live 10 - Global Quantization Delay? Is this a Bug?

Post by jestermgee » Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:28 pm

What is your audio interface and buffer settings? Could be that your audio buffer is so large it throws off any accuracy you would need.

Envinite

Post by Envinite » Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:54 am

jestermgee wrote:What is your audio interface and buffer settings? Could be that your audio buffer is so large it throws off any accuracy you would need.
I'm using Asio driver from Bheringer UMC204 soundcard with 512 samples. Audio interface & buffer settings seems irrelevant to this problem. If buffer is the culprit, then the problem would also show if the global quantization was set to under 1 bar (1/2, 1/4,..etc). But this delay problem seems only to happen when using 1 & 2 bar of global quantization.

Besides, whatever audio setting I choose the problem still persist.

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:25 am

Without knowing, your buffer could create a delay for triggering. Not really sure what the issue is then.

Envinite

Post by Envinite » Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:43 pm

jestermgee wrote:Without knowing, your buffer could create a delay for triggering. Not really sure what the issue is then.
I know. But I'm pretty sure this is a bug after all. I 'fixed' this with temporary solution.

If anyone out there encounter this bug and wondering how the fix, it's pretty much copy paste everything from your current set to a new live set. Simply go to Session View > select every tracks (not the clips) by shift+left click, and then open new live set and paste it. Every clips within each tracks in Session View will be pasted automatically as well as the arrangement in Arrangement View.

Probably a code within the save files got corrupted or something, because this fix the bug without changing the project or the setting.

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:07 am

It would be nice if you could report it to support@ableton.com
thx
Ableton Forum Moderator