Push 1 - Does it have Push 2 Sampling workflow?

Discuss Push with other users.
panten

Push 1 - Does it have Push 2 Sampling workflow?

Post by panten » Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:31 pm

Hi all, it's been a looong time since I used my Push 1 (due to life reasons) but I dug it out from storage recently with excitement and installed the latest release version of Live 9.

It's still such an excellent tool (despite a little stickiness on the black parts due to being in storage for so long) but a lot of the exciting new workflow enhancements I've seen in Push 2 videos seem missing e.g. sampling and converting to drum rack with transients etc.

Do I need to upgrade to Live 10 to get the new sampling workflow on Push 1 or has it been neglected completely?

My presumption is that they didn't want to include enhanced sampling workflow on Push 1 to force people to buy their new hardware if they want it.

There is absolutely no reason that Push2 sampling workflow can't be included on Push 1. Pretty disappointing from such a modern company as Ableton if this is the case.

[jur]
Site Admin

Re: Push 1 - Does it have Push 2 Sampling workflow?

Post by [jur] » Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:51 pm

There's a reason actually: the screen, which sampling and Simpler heavily rely on.
Ableton Forum Moderator

panten

Does Push 1 have sampling functionally of Push 2?

Post by panten » Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:27 pm

If yes then happy days, of not then why not?

p.s. I asked this in the Push forum section but it seems pretty dead in there.

Tagor

Re: Does Push 1 have sampling functionally of Push 2?

Post by Tagor » Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:43 am

no, you cannot see the waveform on your PUSH 1

and because of that, Push1 is not usefull on croping, pasting
reversing samples with it. You rely on your PC-Screen doing that.

jestermgee

Re: Does Push 1 have sampling functionally of Push 2?

Post by jestermgee » Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:19 pm

It was actually answered by an Ableton moderator with the same answer as ^^:
There's a reason actually: the screen, which sampling and Simpler heavily rely on.

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:42 am

Topics merged.
Yes I did answer, and with have dedicated sub-forums so please stick to this simple structure.
Ableton Forum Moderator

panten

Post by panten » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:44 pm

Thankyou for the answers guys and sorry for taking it to the main forum (reason being there were hardly any views in the v.quiet Push section)

The screen on the Push2 is not what I meant by the Sampling workflow. You have the Sample expand button in Simpler which gives you a far bigger view of your sample on your computer monitor than the tiny Push2 screen could ever give you.

The sampling workflow I'm talking about is the ability to capture a sample, convert to Simpler and change from Classic to Slice mode all from the Push controller. I have been pushing every button I can think of that could show me this ability on the Push1 to no avail. I even dug out the old PXT-Live Plus scripts to see if there was an answer there. No dice.

Seems like Ableton deliberately omitted this (easy to implement on their part) function on Push1 to force people to upgrade their hardware. Shame on them; they did not believe their hardware was a good enough upgrade on it's own without hobbling Push1.

I'm complaining because this seems like quite a cynical move on behalf of Ableton.

hiphopdontstop

Post by hiphopdontstop » Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:08 am

I would like to know the answers to these questions as well... can anyone help? Thanks!

beatz01

Post by beatz01 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:41 pm

I found this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPKV8zTj0AA

Watch from 3:30 on.

At least you can adjust start and end points of a sample as well as sample length, choose between modes in Simpler, edit sensitivity, access the warp modes etc. Not the full P2 workflow but it's something :)

hiphopdontstop

Post by hiphopdontstop » Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:39 am

Thank you very much! That video answered my question, for sure. So yes, it is doable. So many have debated this... said it was only possible on Push 2. It's possible in this video, at 4:18. You can see the full Start and Sample End points (first two encoders), as well as the Sample Start and Lengths, and Loop Length!

The presenter himself said that this wasn't possible on Push 1, right before he shows that stuff on the screen. Talk about misguided info! It's clear that you can do it. Nice to know, especially considering the very affordable used price of Push 1.