Can you categorise this "music" ?

Share your tracks with other users.
Angstrom

Can you categorise this "music" ?

Post by Angstrom » Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:50 pm

Hey people, lend me your ears
I've recently been asked to revisit my old 90s dance stuff and so I've been performing some of it live, digging out old stems and reassembling them, jamming on top etc.. A bunch of it is coming out on Vinyl (Sleepers records)

Anyway - alongside those tracks I have plenty of others I'll put out on the traditional digital streaming methods. Which means I need to genre them. I have no idea on genres.
Fiends, Romans, Countrymen ... What genre is this? (90s techno? Ambient Shamanic Trance, Dub Skiffle, Spacehouse, Happythumps, transcendantal Tarnce?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oq-niCCMP-o

any genre tips welcomed, I have no clue.
Last edited by Angstrom on Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unfazed

Re: Can you categorise this "music" ?

Post by Unfazed » Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:41 am

I don't know about genres either. I call everything with an electronic beat Techno. How about 'Acid Techno'?

But it's a great track and it fits well with the video.

Delta Bolt

Post by Delta Bolt » Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:39 pm

This track is similar to Techno. It's probably 90s Techno like you suggested.

It sounds good as well. Well done.

Edit: Maybe the song that Youtube automatically played after I listened to yours should give you a better idea of what genre your song is. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIWe_mdFdcc
It is quite similar to your track.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:04 pm

Hah wow, YouTube is psychic.
I did a few gigs with Steve Hillage (System 7) way back in the 90s when I was on PlanetDog.

Thanks for taking a listen.

Da hand

Post by Da hand » Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:53 pm

Very nice track! I think it incorporates all those styles you mentioned, which is what makes it so nice. The root sound definitely takes me back to late 90s Acid German Techno - Der Dritte Raum and Dr DNA come to mind.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:40 am

Thanks, I appreciate you listening to it, and the compliment!
90s Techno eh, no matter how far I run I can't escape my past. 8)

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:13 am

I’m not much of a genre picker either, but 90’s techno doesn’t seem like it’s wrong at all. It is pretty cool though.. What’s the story behind the video?

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:11 pm

I feel like I should now come up with an enigmatic story behind the video, like ... how it symbolises our fractious and antagonistic relationship with "the alien", yet once subsumed "the alien" brings about an inner Hegelian dialectic resulting in epiphanous transformation, and synthesis ... etc.

In reality - I had a free evening and found a bunch of old Space 1999 episodes, and I had an app on my phone which does psychedelic geometric patterns. I whapped them all together in Premiere and put far too many effects on then left it to render.

I feel like I should stick with the first story.
:lol:

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:26 pm

:lol:

Angstrom wrote:old Space 1999 episodes
that is more along the lines of what i was looking for... i did not fully recognize the scenes/people and wondered what the source material was... and/or if it had any factitious and antagonistic alien subtext that related to... fuckin anything :P

i remember Space 1999, but I was born the year it was released... so your Premiere make tracks mad phat. Get me.. Get me? video effects disabled my lo-fi hi-fi television series synapses

:wink:

spendthrift2

Post by spendthrift2 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:33 pm

I have trouble categorizing music sometimes. it's like this new Christopher Lawrence album I was listening to about an hour ago while doing some walking. I was thinking about it and I couldn't decide what genre I would call it. Typically, I would say, "Christopher Lawrence is trance." but this sounded somewhat less like trance because it didn't have some of the more melodic instruments (I'm not a big DAW guy yet, so don't expect me to know what the instruments are in trance music... pads? Stabs? IDk) and I was caught up focusing more on the automation or modulation aspects of the music. So, Progressive house? maybe.

Yeah, I'm poor at categorizing.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:43 pm

H20nly wrote::lol:

that is more along the lines of what i was looking for... i did not fully recognize the scenes/people and wondered what the source material was... and/or if it had any factitious and antagonistic alien subtext that related to... fuckin anything :P

i remember Space 1999, but I was born the year it was released... so your Premiere make tracks mad phat. Get me.. Get me? video effects disabled my lo-fi hi-fi television series synapses

Hehe,
yeah. Space1999 was a staple of my childhood. They wanted to make 2001: A Space Odyssey as a TV show, but it slowly drifted more a more toward the "monster of the week", but it had some very odd moments.
I got the DVD box set for a few quid in a charity shop.The whole series is on Archive.org.
https://archive.org/details/Space1999.S ... akaway.mp4

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:42 pm

Angstrom wrote:
H20nly wrote::lol:

Hehe,
yeah. Space1999 was a staple of my childhood. They wanted to make 2001: A Space Odyssey as a TV show, but it slowly drifted more a more toward the "monster of the week", but it had some very odd moments.
I got the DVD box set for a few quid in a charity shop.The whole series is on Archive.org.
https://archive.org/details/Space1999.S ... akaway.mp4
ha nice!

gonna have to give it a go. thx for the link 8)

*bookmark*