Vst 3 support in Live. When?

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
Sleeper0013

Re: Vst 3 support in Live. When?

Post by Sleeper0013 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:57 am

OK VST3 support is coming But Live will not implement it until 110% of the bugs are are eliminated. As of now there is no public time table as to when this will happen, they will not even give an idea of when this will be implemented due to the fact they they don't want to lock them selves into a bad situation forcing a buggy early release, or string us along because of a projected date. I do know it is in active development, and from what i know about the way VST3 works Live has probably had some major hurdles to overcome. it is coming how ever VST2sdk is shutdown, but it is now a subjunctive of vst3sdk. Meaning the VST3sdk will run old plugins but the Old sdk has no license support, if any one wants to create VSTs from this point on they have to use SDK3. To ignore VST3 support at this time would be a grave mistake on Ableton's part.

Joe Chapman

Post by Joe Chapman » Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:31 am

I'm in this completely stupid situation right now where there's a VST I really need from Plugin Alliance, and it's 1/3 of the RRP under a combination of member savings and Black Friday, but I can't run it because it's strictly VST3 (or AAX).

So I'm in this silly position where I'm probably going to buy the thing anyway since it's never going to be cheaper than it is today, on the basis that Ableton are now forced to add VST3 support because Steinberg gives them no other option. It's bizarre that VST3 support wasn't a voluntary inclusion already, and we've been waiting for years.

pottering

Post by pottering » Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:10 pm

"since it's never going to be cheaper than it is today"
"Lowest price ever" is just marketing, not true at all, especially for Plugin Alliance.

1/3 (around 30-35% off?) is not even cheap, Plugin Alliance discounts 50% and 75% (and more) regularly.
♥♥♥

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:53 pm

pottering wrote:
"Lowest price ever" is just marketing, not true at all, especially for Plugin Alliance.

1/3 (around 30-35% off?) is not even cheap, Plugin Alliance discounts 50% and 75% (and more) regularly.
yep, if you can't use it now, wait. you will get it cheaper at another time.

Joe Chapman

Post by Joe Chapman » Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:19 pm

pottering wrote:

They didn't even say "cheapest price ever" - that's me.

It's a $149 plugin, which with all combined savings puts it at $49. It really isn't going to get cheaper than that. What's more, it just came out, which means (although PIA does a fair few sales per year) I could be waiting quite a long time to see it in a future sale.

pottering

Post by pottering » Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:50 pm

I know how PA work. I'm pretty sure that plugin will be cheaper in the future.

I guess you have a voucher, I would just get the cheaper stuff for free or near-free, but that's me.

Anyhow, you can install Max 8 demo, use in place of the current Max version bundled with Live 10 (like Max 7 works with Live 9), and then use Max For Live to load VST3 in Live right now.

https://cycling74.com/forums/will-max-8 ... 3-plug-ins

There is also Metaplugin and Bidule.
♥♥♥

spanktron

Post by spanktron » Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:40 pm

The funny thing is that all i see is posts wishing for it yet none by Ableton which lets me conclude they are not in a hurry :-) Reminds me of the Korg "better-resizable Gui for Legacy Vst`s" user wish threads. 3 Years an nothing happened :-)

spanktron

Post by spanktron » Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:45 pm

The even funnier thing is that Reaper, a 60 dollar Daw , seamlessly implements Vst 3

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:36 pm

spanktron wrote:The even funnier thing is that Reaper, a 60 dollar Daw , seamlessly implements Vst 3
Reaper also does MPE, SysEx, ARA support etc. etc. In fact the only newer feature it doesn't currently do is Ableton Link.
Reaper like Logic, is not a DAW you can judge by the price.

But yeah, MPE and VST3 are my two biggest wishes for Live 10.

Cheeftain

Post by Cheeftain » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:50 am

Joe Chapman wrote:
pottering wrote:

They didn't even say "cheapest price ever" - that's me.

It's a $149 plugin, which with all combined savings puts it at $49. It really isn't going to get cheaper than that. What's more, it just came out, which means (although PIA does a fair few sales per year) I could be waiting quite a long time to see it in a future sale.
You can run Schoeps Upmix with Bluecats Patchwork Inside of Ableton...Patchwork allows you to run VST3, look it up :P

spanktron

Post by spanktron » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:43 am

[/quote]You can run Schoeps Upmix with Bluecats Patchwork Inside of Ableton...Patchwork allows you to run VST3, look it up :P[/quote]

You can do the same also with Metaplugin by DDMF which cost about 40 and not 100 :-)

pottering

Post by pottering » Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:40 pm

New option for hosting VST3 inside Live:

https://nugenaudio.com/sigmod/

Interesting utility plugin.

[EDIT: Seems it only loads VST3 FX, not instruments, as it is a FX plugin itself, no MIDI support I guess)
Last edited by pottering on Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
♥♥♥

spanktron

Post by spanktron » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:01 pm

pottering wrote:New option for hosting VST3 inside Live:

https://nugenaudio.com/sigmod/

Interesting utility plugin.

Looks really interesting indeed.

granted

Post by granted » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:59 am

Machinesworking wrote:VST3 is the least adopted update to a standard I can think of. There are a few good reasons for it, but it came out 8 years ago, and it's still not widely adopted, I wouldn't count on Ableton supporting it anytime before 2020, or 2030 for that matter.
Wrong.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:00 pm

granted wrote:
Machinesworking wrote:VST3 is the least adopted update to a standard I can think of. There are a few good reasons for it, but it came out 8 years ago, and it's still not widely adopted, I wouldn't count on Ableton supporting it anytime before 2020, or 2030 for that matter.
Wrong.
So almost two years ago I was a year off. Sue me! :lol:

Any bets on how much longer it takes NI to release a VST3 version of their software? :x