Confusion over Max for Live installation

Questions and discussion about building and using Max for Live devices
Post Reply
carlcaulkett
Posts: 49
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:28 pm

Confusion over Max for Live installation

Post by carlcaulkett » Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:49 pm

Hello, I have Ableton Live Suite v10.0.5 and as far as I know this came with Max for Live bundled. If I look at the version of Max in "About Max" it shows v8.0.1. I assume this is as it should be. My confusion is two fold.

Firstly I am puzzled by the choice in Ableton Live's preferences in "File Folder". There is a choice between "Use bundled version" and browsing to an application. I'm guessing that "Use bundled version" is the correct choice, but can someone confirm or deny that?

Secondly, I'm trying to use a M4L package called "Kapture" by Plastikman and Liine. If I try to access the help page for this package, I get the following message...

Image

The actual device seems to load properly, but I'm a little concerned that there may be someting wrong with my installation.

If I follow the suggested link, it leads me to a download page for M4L 7.3.6, and as I say I already have M4L 8.0.1. I haven't purchased the full Max package. Are there any advantages to getting the full package over the one bundled with Live 10 Suite?

pottering
Posts: 673
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2014 4:41 am

Re: Confusion over Max for Live installation

Post by pottering » Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:52 am

Probably just a hiccup with the authorization system, I wouldn't worry about it.

You don't need to download or install Max .

chrk
Posts: 1728
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:36 pm

Re: Confusion over Max for Live installation

Post by chrk » Sat Nov 24, 2018 4:13 am

pottering wrote:Probably just a hiccup with the authorization system, I wouldn't worry about it.
Look at your user account and open up the "View license details". Every instrument pack included in the Suite and Max for Live should be listed with a license number there. If one's missing it's time to worry and contact support.

Happened to me when I upgraded from Intro to Suite on a grace period offer. The in-between-version of Live 8 I got before 9 was finally released didn't register as Suite, so I wasn't able to use some instruments or m4l.

Support sorted me out within hours, but that wasn't on a weekend...
carlcaulkett wrote:Firstly I am puzzled by the choice in Ableton Live's preferences in "File Folder". There is a choice between "Use bundled version" and browsing to an application. I'm guessing that "Use bundled version" is the correct choice, but can someone confirm or deny that?
The choice has just been reintoduced with Live 10.0.5 for people who own and program patches in Max standalone. And yes, for you the bundled Max version should be the one to choose.

You only need the full Max package if you're planning on using it outside Live. People who do this MAY profit from using alway the very latest Max updates, Live-only users will have to wait for the next Live update.

Last, Kapture is an older, free M4L device, and the help pages/lessons have obviously not been updated for Live 10/Max 8.

carlcaulkett
Posts: 49
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:28 pm

Re: Confusion over Max for Live installation

Post by carlcaulkett » Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:02 pm

Thanks guys, for the replies. I feel suitably reassured!

carlcaulkett
Posts: 49
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:28 pm

Re: Confusion over Max for Live installation

Post by carlcaulkett » Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:43 pm

A further twist, however, is the fact that I am trying to run https://magenta.tensorflow.org/studio/ableton-live. If I have the built in Max enabled, the buttons in the `magenta.amxd` refuse to become enabled, whereas if I set Live to use the external Max, then the buttons are enabled.

[jur]
Site Admin
Posts: 1701
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:04 pm
Location: Ableton

Re: Confusion over Max for Live installation

Post by [jur] » Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:03 pm

That's because the bundled Max app hasn't been updated to the latest one and is quite old now.
So, as described in on the Magenta website, simply point Live to the standalone Max.
Ableton Forum Moderator

carlcaulkett
Posts: 49
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:28 pm

Re: Confusion over Max for Live installation

Post by carlcaulkett » Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:52 pm

Thanks for the reply. To be honest I didn't really notice the documentation further down that page. I've read it now, and, as you say, it lays things out quite clearly! It also, I susoect, solves a couple of other issues I've had with these plugin, which I think are to do with the unsuitability of my input clips. I'm going to study the video clips carefully!

filtersweep
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:28 pm

Re: Confusion over Max for Live installation

Post by filtersweep » Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:19 pm

[jur] wrote:That's because the bundled Max app hasn't been updated to the latest one and is quite old now.
So, as described in on the Magenta website, simply point Live to the standalone Max.
how exactly do you do this?
i cannot get it to work whatever i try..

[jur]
Site Admin
Posts: 1701
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:04 pm
Location: Ableton

Re: Confusion over Max for Live installation

Post by [jur] » Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:46 pm

filtersweep wrote:
[jur] wrote:That's because the bundled Max app hasn't been updated to the latest one and is quite old now.
So, as described in on the Magenta website, simply point Live to the standalone Max.
how exactly do you do this?
i cannot get it to work whatever i try..
Live 10.0.6 uses an updated Max version.
Ableton Forum Moderator

Post Reply