Drum Rack Chains in Instrument Rack... odd behavior.

Discuss Push with other users.
clay

Re: Drum Rack Chains in Instrument Rack... odd behavior.

Post by clay » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:58 pm

Its a known issue to ableton but i suppose not enough people have complained about it. I havent found a workaround and i spent hours and days on this.

McAnix

Post by McAnix » Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:46 am

That sucks, with a set that requires multiple racks for samples, it makes life really difficult. I wonder if grouping racks would help in anyway?

mikb

Post by mikb » Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:13 am

beef_wellington wrote:I have a couple of Drum Racks as Chains within an Instrument Rack. When I manually select the 2nd chain (and switch the Chain Selector), the Push's Macros update correctly, but not the 4x4 sample pad display. I can trigger the new Drum Rack, but the illuminated pads still match the first Chain.

Also... as soon as I press Record on the current clip slot, the Rack jumps back to the first Chain.

This seems buggy. Is anyone else able to successfully navigate and record using multiple Drum Rack Chains?
I use macros to toggle activation of chains not in use, so that only one chain is active at a time.
Basic gear info: Macbook Pro with macOS 10.12, Ableton Live Suite version 9 (64bit) with Ozone, Push and APC20 as controllers.

clay

Post by clay » Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:03 am

I use macros to toggle activation of chains not in use, so that only one chain is active at a time.
do you mean using clyphx pro?

and when you switch between chains, does that make the push show the correct pads lit up if they have drum samples on them, in your drum rack?

SudacaBeatz

Post by SudacaBeatz » Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:36 pm

Live 10.0.1 and I have the same issue with Instrument Rack and Push2.

I can't see what instrument I am selecting in my Push's display. Also with instrument rack with drumracks I can only see glowing pads for the first drumrack in the chain.
Very serious problem for live performing! :(

TwinPixie

Post by TwinPixie » Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:49 am

I’m experiencing the same problem. I’ve e-mailed them about it. I’ll let you know what they say. I think this is a basic necessity for Ableton Live performance, if this doesn’t work it defies the use of Live.

Bungalowhulk

Post by Bungalowhulk » Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:20 pm

Just putting a live set together and stumbled on this issue too. How annoying! There's so many issues with this device, I'm finding it quite unplayable :(

Any ideas for a work around?

TwinPixie

Post by TwinPixie » Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:04 pm

This is the answer I got
Benedikt (Ableton Support)
Nov 27, 02:37 PST

Hi Marieke,

thanks for getting back.

We are aware of this issue and at this time this is the expected behavior for this scenario.
Push can't, in fact, grab the information of the Chain Selector position to update its layout according to the Drum Rack which is activated.
In addition to this, as you may select several chains with the Chain Selector, there is a logical problem behind this:
Which Drum Rack layout should be displayed if two or more Drum Racks are actually receiving the input notes?

Because of this, the actual behavior only defaults to the very first Drum Rack in the chains.
As this is indeed not a very clean solution we've already filed this as a bug in our backlog as something to improve.
As it is with most bugs, it's impossible to say if or when this might be addressed.
I've added another +1 to the story now that you've reported it as well.

I'm sorry not to have a more positive answer to this.

If there is anything else we can do for you, please let us know!

Best regards,
Benedikt
Technical Support Agent

Joseph_Dempsey

Post by Joseph_Dempsey » Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:32 pm

Any updates on a fix? Seems like you should be able to do this... the work around I use for a live set currently is:

1.Set up individual drum racks for each song, save (that way the color coding and layout of your drum rack is recalled)

2.Arrange the drum rack tracks in session view in order of setlist you'll be performing, then group tracks so you can fold them down to stay tidy (on push if you have more that 8 tracks scrolling becomes a pain)

3.Select Rack based on current song in setlist manually, when you do the pad colors change properly and if your racks layouts are all setup the same theres no jumping around.

Its very frustrating that this cannot be done inside an instrument rack with chain selector automation and instead has to be carried out manually!