M4L, control any parameter, at least 24 Macros?

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
McAnix

M4L, control any parameter, at least 24 Macros?

Post by McAnix » Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:05 am

I found a neat little M4L device to control any parameter in live (Honey Mapper) it works with the MIDI effect rack, which has it's limitations with push2 as I'll explain. I then lock the MIDI effect rack to push2. The problem is, I wan't more than 8 macro's locked to the device, I wan't at least 24 ( which i want to scroll through or select "banks" or something like that).

Does such a device exist, is it even possible?

Thank you.

hoffman2k

Re: M4L, control any parameter, at least 24 Macros?

Post by hoffman2k » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:54 am

Use 3 racks of them. Instead of pressing a button to change banks, you just select another rack.
The whole point of Honey Mapper is to use the existing functions of the racks, because MFL is essentially broken when it comes to control mapping. There's live.banks now, but that is just another workaround with the same broken core.

McAnix

Post by McAnix » Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:08 pm

Hi hoffman2k,

Thanks for the reply, yes that works, the problem comes when I lock the MIDI effect rack to push2, this is the issue I'm having. You can only lock one set of macros (unless I'm missing something) no matter how many other effect racks you have inside the rack( or outside).

Hence I'm looking for a device with alot more than 8 macros.

Thanks.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:39 pm

McAnix wrote:Hi hoffman2k,

Thanks for the reply, yes that works, the problem comes when I lock the MIDI effect rack to push2, this is the issue I'm having. You can only lock one set of macros (unless I'm missing something) no matter how many other effect racks you have inside the rack( or outside).

Hence I'm looking for a device with alot more than 8 macros.

Thanks.
Ah yes, locking is a different matter. There are several devices to allow 16 and more macros, but then you get undo history flooding and unpredictable behavior. There's always a trade-off.

McAnix

Post by McAnix » Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:23 pm

Would you mind providing links to those or names even would be cool? I tried "Sixteen Macros 2.0" from covort op but it's macros aren't visible on push2.

Thanks!

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:43 pm

McAnix wrote:it's macros aren't visible on push2.
No MaxforLive device can provide this feature. It is only natively supported by Instrument and Audio Effect Racks both of which are limited to 8 macros.

Cheers
D

McAnix

Post by McAnix » Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:49 pm

Dang......

If there was just a way to lock an entire track's device view to push2, that would be so amazing!

McAnix

Post by McAnix » Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:49 pm

Okay so just forgetting about the lock screen situation, what M4L parameter controllers would you guys recommend, Honey Mapper and Sixteen Macros 2.0 are great but what other devices are out there?

tedlogan

Post by tedlogan » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:59 pm

I am currently really enjoying MultiMapper32 V2.7

4 banks of 8 macros (you can rename them but the new names do not show up on Push), 16 presets, XY morpher between first 4 presets, customizable curves/MSEGs for each macro.

So far it's been really great especially if I have a complex Soundtoys rack setup on a group track, and I need to switch to certain configurations with the press of a button using the presets you can easily make by SHIFT_clicking one of the 16 preset blocks.

Unless there's some way I'm not aware of to switch a live default rack's 8 macros to any particular configuration that are in a group channel without using arrangement automation, this seems pretty great. Hmm I guess I could copy however many "presets" i need and stack them in parallel in a master group's chains and control them from there with default macros, making sure only one chain is active at a given moment.....gonna try this now actually.

regardless, Multimapper32 - so far so good!

EDIT - ah yes and it also has 4 Master (A B C D) knobs - A would turn all 8 macros in bank A simultaneously, B all in bank B etc. Also, the default mapping for Push is pretty good, nothing missing.

McAnix

Post by McAnix » Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:32 am

tedlogan wrote:I am currently really enjoying MultiMapper32 V2.7
Thank you! This device is incredible! Once the device is locked to push the banks are still accessible which blows my mind! Alas naming macros is not available, but that has to do with it not being a native device, I see the programmer had to use something more than M4L (probably Max) just to make the macro's even visible which in it's self is really a great thing.

Thank you so much!

tedlogan

Post by tedlogan » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:40 pm

McAnix wrote:
tedlogan wrote:I am currently really enjoying MultiMapper32 V2.7
Thank you! This device is incredible! Once the device is locked to push the banks are still accessible which blows my mind! Alas naming macros is not available, but that has to do with it not being a native device, I see the programmer had to use something more than M4L (probably Max) just to make the macro's even visible which in it's self is really a great thing.

Thank you so much!
A pleasure! I just discovered this a few days ago myself - so far no errors in recalling presets and so on.

Cheers