Two basic questions from an OG - shifting time signatures

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Henry Robinett

Two basic questions from an OG - shifting time signatures

Post by Henry Robinett » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:29 pm

First basic question: This is terrible. I am hobbling back to Live. I used to kind of use it. I started with 4, then 7 then 9 and now 10. But I'm having problems remembering how to make things work properly. I hit the space bar and it just plays the scenes. I can't figure out how to get it to play in sequence all the scenes. How do I get it to play the whole thing? I can't find something so basic in the manual. I know it's there, I just don't have time to read it. LOL! RTFM. I know.

Second basic question, though a little more complex: The primary reason I got Live in the first place was to play a specific song and a few others in conjunction with my live band. This song goes from 7/4, then 4/4 then 9/8 then back to 7/4. I think I originally programmed it in Live 4 before there were times signatures you could switch. I had to be very creative to make it all come out right. Hm. I'm assuming you can do that now.

So I'd like to take the old clips and scenes and reset the time signatures. Is this possible?
All the best,

Henry Robinett
Mac Pro 7,1 16 Core 160GB, MP 5,1/32 GB
Metric Halo ULN-8 3d (x6) ULN-2
DP 10, Logic, PT,Live 10, Falcon, VEP, Superior Drummer, Kontakt5, UAD-2 Solo&Duo, Millennia HV3D, Lot's 'o mics . . .

Da hand

Re: Two basic questions from an OG - shifting time signatures

Post by Da hand » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:26 am

Answer to Q1 = Arrangement View.

While there are workarounds (Follow Actions on all the clips or loop-back MIDI launching of Scenes), there is no native way to have the actual Scenes in Session View be launched in sequence by themselves. I assume the reason being, that you can then just simply do that in Arrangement View instead. The Session View is meant more for actual live interaction with the clips and scenes.

Answer to Q2:

You can change the time signature and tempo of a clip in the Clip View and also the time signature and tempo of a Scene by renaming the scene "90bpm 3/4" for example.