Ableton built in metronome...

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
roxolid

Ableton built in metronome...

Post by roxolid » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:39 pm

I was wondering if anyone could tell me what the advantage is of using Ableton's built in metronome, as opposed to just using the click.wav audio that you get when you buy multi-tracks? Isn't it easier to just put songs end to end in arrangement view and use the click.wav? Would it be that you can't match the timing grid to songs with differing BPM's and/or time signatures? I could see where that would hinder being able to rearrange songs on the fly, such as repeating a chorus or whatever, but if you weren't going to be doing anything live on the fly, would that matter then?

Thanks in advance for your help! :D

jestermgee

Re: Ableton built in metronome...

Post by jestermgee » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:25 am

Kind od no idea of the question there.

Metronome is just a way of keeping time with what is playing in the absence of a drum track. It's simple to just switch on in Live without creating anything but one can use whatever sample they like on a track and call it a metronome.

roxolid

Post by roxolid » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:54 am

jestermgee wrote:Kind od no idea of the question there.

Metronome is just a way of keeping time with what is playing in the absence of a drum track. It's simple to just switch on in Live without creating anything but one can use whatever sample they like on a track and call it a metronome.
Thanks for your reply! I understand the metronome function, let me try and clarify... I am not creating my own tracks, I am purchasing pre-made tracks from sources like multitracks.com, etc., and when you purchase those, they come with a folder full of audio files of all the different instruments, and often including a click track (aka, metronome), as well as a guide, (or "cue") track. I've seen people setup their sets in Ableton using these same types of purchased tracks, but they leave the click track out and use Ableton's built in metronome instead, so I was wondering what pros and cons are to doing it that way.

Thanks!

McAnix

Post by McAnix » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:56 pm

roxolid wrote:so I was wondering what pros and cons are to doing it that way.

Thanks!
I do it this way.

Cons: You will need to adjust the track's tempo to ableton's click ( beat matching essentially). Can take time and is very frustrating if the song isn't recorded to a click. Some tracks might come with a click but they aren't aligned to a grid, ie, the click came last in the recording not first. I have found many back tracks like this, fortunately you can warp more than one stem at once in Ableton.

Pros: It's always the same click, the drummer doesn't have to continually adjust their mix.
Count ins and ques can be made uniform.
Sections can quickly be cut or duplicated.

Basically more prep but more flexibility.
Last edited by McAnix on Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

roxolid

Post by roxolid » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:53 pm

McAnix wrote:
I do it this way.

Cons: You will need to the track's tempo to ableton's click ( beat matching essentially). Can take time and is very frustrating if the song isn't recorded to a click. Some tracks might come with a click but they aren't aligned to a grid, ie, the click came last in the recording not first. I have found many back tracks like this, fortunately you can warp more than one stem at once in Ableton.

Pros: It's always the same click, the drummer doesn't have to continually adjust their mix.
Count ins and ques can be made uniform.
Sections can quickly be cut or duplicated.

Basically more prep but more flexibility.
Thanks, that is helpful! :)