Please help Ableton Live suite 10

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
TheEllipticalElement627

Please help Ableton Live suite 10

Post by TheEllipticalElement627 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:00 am

Okay, so for about a week now, I've been experiencing a glitch that's driving me crazy and making me lose hours of progress. I will just be working, like let's say playing a piano, synth, or drums, and out of nowhere the pitch and speed of what I'm playing changes. It's not an automation, there don't seem to be any setting changed on my hardware or software regarding pitch, and it's only been happening recently. The only solution I have found is to delete the entire midi track and restart, otherwise, it stays no matter what. This is driving me crazy and making me want to switch DAW's entirely someone please try to help. Also, it has so far only happened on my main PC at home and not on my MacBook.

Please help I'm begging you this is agony.

[jur]
Site Admin

Re: PLEASE HELP ABLETON LIVE SUITE 10

Post by [jur] » Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:51 am

Your explanation is quite confused.
When you say that you are "playing", what does it mean exactly?
- Are you playing a virtual instruments with a midi keyboard? In this case the only possible reason for pitch and speed to change is to play faster/slower on lower/higher notes...
- Are you playing audio clips? In this case a change for pitch+speed means that your tempo has been changed.

BTW, I've edited your topic title so it's not all in upper case letters and doesn't look like you're screaming anymore.
Also, I would suggest you to edit it by yourself and find a less meaningless description of what your thread is about if you want more people to chime in.
Ableton Forum Moderator

TLW

Re: Please help Ableton Live suite 10

Post by TLW » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:16 am

A question and some thoughts...

Does Live’s displayed tempo change when whatever is going wrong happens?

Unwanted pitch changes can sometimes come from a MIDI keyboard’s pitch wheel sending MIDI pitch bends when it shouldn’t be. Though tempo shouldn’t be affected by that.

A pitch and speed change might be explained by a change in the sample rate - if so then all tracks should be equally affected. This can happen if Windows tries to take over the audio interface/soundcard to play system sounds or other non-DAW audio. Do audio tracks that have already been recorded show the problem or is it just MIDI related?
Live 10 Suite, 2020 27" iMac, 3.6 GHz i9, MacOS Catalina, RME UFX, assorted synths, guitars and stuff.

oratowsky

Post by oratowsky » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:14 am

ya, you know as TLW mentions it sounds like maybe something weird with pitchbend automation -- i think i've had instances where live doesn't seem to 'reset' the pitchbend to 0 in the right way ?

shayneo

Post by shayneo » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:53 am

This can sometimes be a audio device driver problem. I get this occasionally, very rarely, but it happens, where everything just goes like a semitone out of tune, even recorded audio. This happens like once every 3-4 months. The only thing that seems to fix it is a full PC reset. It was *very* common about a decade ago on my old 1010 soundcard, but with the focusrite, its pretty damn rare.

But if deleting a midi track fixes it.... well that *is* weird. Are you getting a stuck midi pitch bend wheel or something?

TheEllipticalElement627

Post by TheEllipticalElement627 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:18 am

Okay, so just to clear some things and add some too

1. I'm sorry if I do something wrong with my thread because this issue is just getting irritating and I am not used to posting things like this, sorry if I do something wrong
2. Obviously, I have checked the tempo and such and it never changes throughout the entire thing
3. This happens when I play through a midi piano/controller and when I play a recorded midi section on Ableton
4. When it happens, it is a fast, but still noticeable pitch up (otherwise meaning it doesn't immediately just pitch up, it sounds as if I were to quickly push up on the pitch controller)
5. I have sometimes noticed in clips where it pitches up, in the midi settings there is an automation that makes it pitch up, removing it makes it go back down, but still even when I don't record anything and I am just playing an instrument like a piano it is still pitched up
6. I have tried using my midi keyboard, launchpad, and a drum pad and in all of them, the instruments are pitched up
7. This doesn't happen in programs such as Massive or Serum, only in thing's like Ableton's Grand Piano sample pack and Orchestral Strings pack
8. Just wanted to say sorry again if this is confusing in general, and also, no the tempo is NOT CHANGED and I did not touch the pitch wheel to possible make this error

TheEllipticalElement627

Post by TheEllipticalElement627 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:23 am

shayneo wrote:This can sometimes be a audio device driver problem. I get this occasionally, very rarely, but it happens, where everything just goes like a semitone out of tune, even recorded audio. This happens like once every 3-4 months. The only thing that seems to fix it is a full PC reset. It was *very* common about a decade ago on my old 1010 soundcard, but with the focusrite, its pretty damn rare.

But if deleting a midi track fixes it.... well that *is* weird. Are you getting a stuck midi pitch bend wheel or something?
I actually just bought a new Focusrite card and it's up to date so this shouldn't be the issue, but still thank you

TheEllipticalElement627

Post by TheEllipticalElement627 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:26 am

TLW wrote:A question and some thoughts...

Unwanted pitch changes can sometimes come from a MIDI keyboard’s pitch wheel sending MIDI pitch bends when it shouldn’t be. Though tempo shouldn’t be affected by that.

A pitch and speed change might be explained by a change in the sample rate - if so then all tracks should be equally affected. This can happen if Windows tries to take over the audio interface/soundcard to play system sounds or other non-DAW audio. Do audio tracks that have already been recorded show the problem or is it just MIDI related?
It is not a tempo change, that's the first thing my head went to when this first happened, it isn't that. It also isn't any automation on the MIDI track itself, even after removing all automation it stays the same. I have never had this issue with an audio track, only MIDI tracks, and whenever it happens when I'm not actually playing a MIDI instrument (when I'm playing a prerecorded MIDI clip in the MIDI track) I find that the pitch bend goes up in the actual clip itself. Thank you for your help.

TheEllipticalElement627

Post by TheEllipticalElement627 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:31 am

Also, new thing

I was just trying to record something on a piano through the midi, and midway through the recording, the pitch went up again. I immediately stopped the recording and checked the MIDI clip that I recorded. I found that the MIDI pitch bend did actually go up about 3200 and kept moving slightly between 3000-3400 on the pitch bend automation afterward. I hope this give's help towards understanding what this could be.

Also, I'm new to Ableton, so if there is something obvious that I am missing, I'm very sorry. All I know is that it went up in the clip, but still, it stays up when I play my MIDI piano after I fix the automation and set the pitch bend to 0

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:18 am

Then you've got an issue with your midi keyboard sending PB informations erratically.
Ableton Forum Moderator

siliconarc

Post by siliconarc » Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:49 pm

Search for MIDI Monitor device in your browser - it should be installed as it's part of the Core Library.
Load it onto a MIDI track, press the Flow button and watch for any incoming ghost Pitchbend data.

G-Pop

Post by G-Pop » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:50 pm

TLW wrote:A question and some thoughts...

[EDIT]
Sorry, I didn't notice we'd gotten this issue narrowed down to MIDI interface...

G Pops
Live10std. Win8x, 8G ram, Scarlette 2i2[1stGen] & ASIO[2ndGen]-KorgN5, M-audio MIDI, various guitarz!
Without skillz, we're all just Monkeys with Shotguns!

TheEllipticalElement627

Post by TheEllipticalElement627 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:20 pm

garyboozy wrote:Search for MIDI Monitor device in your browser - it should be installed as it's part of the Core Library.
Load it onto a MIDI track, press the Flow button and watch for any incoming ghost Pitchbend data.
I do see the rouge pitch bend, is there any simple way to stop this from happening though? Or just generally any way to stop it. Do I need to buy a new midi keyboard?

Mark Williams

Post by Mark Williams » Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:04 pm

Bet you have some automation going on within the clip envelope. Its so easy to record that and not see it...
Live 11, M1 Mac Mini, Push 2, Scarlett 18i20 & ADA8200, Softube Console 1 Mk2, Deepmind12, Hydrasynth, Cobalt 8M, Moog Subsequent 25, IK Uno Synth Pro, Plethora X3, Nord Drum 3P

TheEllipticalElement627

Post by TheEllipticalElement627 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:36 am

Mark Williams wrote:Bet you have some automation going on within the clip envelope. Its so easy to record that and not see it...
I know I do, I'm just looking for a way to stop it. Is there a way to stop it from doing this without replacing it? It's impossible to make music with the pitch constantly changing around like this. Thanks for the tip though!