Crackle noise when cutting&moving recorded audio - Live 10

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
j.roemer92

Crackle noise when cutting&moving recorded audio - Live 10

Post by j.roemer92 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:27 pm

Hey guys,

for a few month I've been having this problem, called tech support, had teamviewer sessions, but no solution was found:

the problem:

When I record audio, make a cut and move it around (for example to edit the timing), a crackle noise starts to appear randomly - maybe at the beginning of the clip, around the cut, somewhere else --> randomly.

When I then change the sample rate (say I recorded in 48Khz and change it to 44.1), the crackle is gone, when I change back it is there again. Doesn't matter if I record in 44.1 and change to 48 or the other way around.

I work with a Mac book pro and a babyface, but the problem was also there when I was still working on windows 10. I changed a few weeks ago, problem is still there. I also tried an apollo twin mkii, problem is also there. So it is not related to the system or interface it seems. I also tried it in cubase, no crackle noise, so it is an Ableton issue.

The problem also exists in live 9, but is more prominent in 10.

Any ideas? It has to be some kind of sync issue. Please comment if you can help in any way.

Heres a quick recording that includes the crackle noise (on the high chord), and an export when I changed the sample rate, so you can hear that the audio actually is cleanly recorded.

Here's the audio:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/fv0ou3z6ttpy ... xMA0a?dl=0

best,
J

j.roemer92

Re: Crackle noise when cutting&moving recorded audio - Live 10

Post by j.roemer92 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:31 am

Update:

It has got to be some kind of bug that has to with how Ableton treats recorded audio files. If I export the file and import again, the crackle noise does never appear - also never when I edited external samples, so that makes sense.

Is there anything that can be changed in settings how Ableton treats the recorded files? I tried collecting and consolidating first, did make no difference.

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:19 pm

j.roemer92 wrote: Heres a quick recording that includes the crackle noise (on the high chord), and an export when I changed the sample rate, so you can hear that the audio actually is cleanly recorded.

Here's the audio:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/fv0ou3z6ttpy ... xMA0a?dl=0

best,
J
are you talking about the artefacts that start at around 4 seconds into your "crackle" sample? if so, they are also present on the "non-crackle" sample.

j.roemer92

Post by j.roemer92 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:18 pm

yes, these are the noises I am talking about..

oh well, you're right, I made a mistake when exporting. The artifacts would have been gone, if I exported in 44.1, which I didn't.

BUT:

I just found the solution. It is the warp function. It is always activated on my clips when I record sth. Deactivated, the crackles do no longer appear. I don't know why the artifacts are gone, when I change the samplerate, but they are definetly gone and don't appear, when warp is deactivated.

Any ideas why? Anyway, thats the solution.

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:15 am

what is your default warp mode?

j.roemer92

Post by j.roemer92 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:00 pm

It was complex, which doesn't work well on guitars which is why the problem was only with guitars.