Live 10 Not Recognizing Inputs from Sound Devices USBPre 2

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
NUNS

Live 10 Not Recognizing Inputs from Sound Devices USBPre 2

Post by NUNS » Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:54 am

Hello,

Live 10 is not recognizing any audio interface inputs.

Things I have checked:
— is the interface receiving signal — YES
— are Live’s I/O configured properly in the preferences — YES
— have I rebooted the laptop — YES
— is all software up-to-date — YES
— will Live 10 send audio to the interface from soft synths — YES
— do other audio applications receive audio input from the interface — YES

Here are the system specs:
Live — 10.0.5
Mac OS — 10.14
MacBook Pro — 15 inch, 2018
Interface — Sound Devices USBPre 2 (running latest firmware) connected via Satechi USB-C to USB dongle

Has anyone else experienced this strange behavior?

Many thanks!!

fishmonkey

Re: Live 10 Not Recognizing Inputs from Sound Devices USBPre 2

Post by fishmonkey » Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:03 am

it's unclear from your post where things are going wrong. you say Live is "not recognizing inputs", but you also say that the Live I/O prefs are configured okay.

are the audio device inputs configurable in the Live audio prefs?

and are you able to select the inputs in the track I/O section?

chrk

Post by chrk » Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:32 am

NUNS wrote:— are Live’s I/O configured properly in the preferences — YES
Have you setup up Track I/O and armed the track as well?

NUNS

Post by NUNS » Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:03 pm

Thank you all for chiming in.

I agree my use of the word "inputs" to define both physical connections and signal is confusing.

Live 10 successfully sees the physical I/O in the Preferences window and in the Track I/O. This works as expected.

What Live is not seeing is audio signal. That's the problem: no sound is coming in.

I've tried switching the Monitor sections to IN and AUTO (with the track armed) and still no audio signal is present.

It's strange as I've used this same interface with Live since version 7 or 8 without issue.

Again, thanks for helping me troubleshoot.

djjamesbowers

Post by djjamesbowers » Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:51 pm

Hey,

Appreciate this is an old issue now but I recently had to recover my Mac after accidentally updating to Catalina (recovered back to Mojave) and I'm having a similar problem - however, when I go into my Mac's privacy settings, Ableton Live 10 is not listed as having requested access. What's more, I can't seem to get it to ask for access.

This is the same, whether I attempt to use my Samson C01U mic, or my macbook's internal mic, as an input into Ableton. When I go into System Preferences on my Mac, I can see the input meter moving (in settings, NOT in Ableton) which suggests to me that this is a privacy/access issue and not a more technical one.

This is the latest in a really long line of frustrations I've been having with Apple lately (I understand the need for the feature but in this case it's not working), and I need to get a radio show out pretty quickly so I'd be really grateful if anyone can help? I've included a screenshot below.

Thanks so much!

James

covmatty1

Post by covmatty1 » Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:53 pm

djjamesbowers wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:51 pm
Hey,

Appreciate this is an old issue now but I recently had to recover my Mac after accidentally updating to Catalina (recovered back to Mojave) and I'm having a similar problem - however, when I go into my Mac's privacy settings, Ableton Live 10 is not listed as having requested access. What's more, I can't seem to get it to ask for access.

This is the same, whether I attempt to use my Samson C01U mic, or my macbook's internal mic, as an input into Ableton. When I go into System Preferences on my Mac, I can see the input meter moving (in settings, NOT in Ableton) which suggests to me that this is a privacy/access issue and not a more technical one.

This is the latest in a really long line of frustrations I've been having with Apple lately (I understand the need for the feature but in this case it's not working), and I need to get a radio show out pretty quickly so I'd be really grateful if anyone can help? I've included a screenshot below.

Thanks so much!

James

Hi James,

I just ran into the same issue as you. Here is how I fixed it.

Open System Preferences, then Security & Privacy.
Scroll down to Microphone, as you did.
I found that Ableton is unticked here. I'm not sure why it's not showing for you, it could be a different issue, but I wanted to record what worked for me in case anyone else comes across this.
Click the lock to make changes, then tick the box for Ableton, restart Ableton, and you should be good to go.

Were you able to fix this?

Maddutchman78

Post by Maddutchman78 » Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:31 pm

This worked for me with a Mackie Onyx 1620i

The privacy setting on the microphone was stopping audio from routing into Ableton, even though the input signal in settings was showing.

Many thanks !!

nocats

Post by nocats » Mon Dec 13, 2021 7:36 pm

NUNS wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:42 pm
SOLVED

https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/artic ... cOS-Mojave
Thanks, I only spent an hour searching for this. Still relevant since my mac is running Mojave currently. My other mac can only run El Capitan, but that's another story (it won't license...)