Can I map the same parameter to multiple Macro controls?

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
Chi1111

Can I map the same parameter to multiple Macro controls?

Post by Chi1111 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:01 pm

So my problem is, now I created an audio track for Guitar , added a Ping pong delay and a reverb.I'm gonna use that combination for the Scene 1.

Then, I want to use the same Ping pong delay plus a Echo effect for the Scene 2.(All of these things in the Guitar audio track)

So I used Macro mapping here. I mapped the Activator button of the Ping pong delay and the reverb(for the scene 1) to the Macro control 1. That worked. But Is there a way to map the activator button of the same Ping Pong delay and the Echo effect (for the scene 2) to the Macro control 2?

In other words, can I map the same parameter to multiple Macro controls?

This is for my university project, I'm really struggling. :cry:

Thanks guys!!!!! :)

jestermgee

Re: Can I map the same parameter to multiple Macro controls?

Post by jestermgee » Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:00 pm

If you are using the same effects on 2 different channels/groups and wish them to do the same thing at the same tiome, my suggestion would be to use a return track for the effects.

Move the effects to a return track then on all the tracks you want to pass through the effect, crank the send knob up and set your AudioTo: box for the tracks to "Sends Only". You should note your VU meters are now blue which means the output is going to your return track now.

Now you can map buttons to a single set of effects and have a bus created to control the overall mix and have just a single set of effects to use instead of multiple lots == better performance.

Chi1111

Post by Chi1111 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:10 pm

Thanks so much for your reply.

Well, I tried that as you said. But the thing is If I use return tracks for the effects and Send my guitar track to the effect Return track, Those effects will be applied to the whole Guitar track right?

But here what I want to do is- keep the same guitar track, and use separate audio effects to different scenes. Which means different effect combinations on different scenes.

Thats why I added all the effects to my Guitar track, Mapped them separately to my foot pedal. So for the scene 1,I need ping pong and reverb, So I mapped one switch of the foot controller to activate both effects and that works well. But when I need to use the ping pong and echo for the scene 2, I have to load the ping pong again, because Ableton doesn't allow me to do a second midi mapping on the previous effect I used.

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:09 pm

You want too be able o have the MIDI Mapping change based on what in view, switch it on the fly?

ClyphX Pro has an upgrade called Bindings which allows for this, you can map a parameter to a MIDI control and switch it based on the above.

Cheers
D

https://isotonikstudios.com/product/clyphx-pro/