Mapping more than one note to the play button

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Zhaze

How to assign multiple midi notes to the play button.

Post by Zhaze » Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:32 pm

I’m having a crazy time trying to figure out how to assign multiple midi notes to the play button on Ableton Live 9. I have a roland octapad that Im trying to set up to fire tracks for a church in arangement view. I can set it up fine to move the locator, but unless I’ve already pressed play it doesn’t play automatically. I want to set this up to where when I hit a pad it moves the locator to where I want (not a problem) and presses the play button (can’t figure this out) simultaneously so the we can start a song in arangement view without having to start the whole thing over. Essentially one hit on the pads instead of two. Any help would be appreciated!!

H20nly

Re: Mapping more than one note to the play button

Post by H20nly » Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:58 pm

If using the keyboard is still an option:

Windows / Macintosh

-Play from Start Marker/Stop

Space / Space

-Continue Play from Stop Point

Shift-Space / Shift-Space

-Play Arrangement View Selection

Space / Space

-Move Insert Marker to Beginning

Home / Function+left arrow key

-Record

F9 / F9

-Back to Arrangement

F10 / F10

-Activate/Deactivate Track 1-8

F1-F8 / F1-F8

34.5 Transport
https://www.ableton.com/en/manual/live- ... shortcuts/

If not, can you try assigning multiple notes to a pad instead... and maybe also map Play to that pad?

Play is one of those baked in functions, but it can still have nuances. I can think of several controllers over the years where I had to press play twice, stuff like that. that's why using more than one controller or using the keyboard in tandem became my "workaround". it seems they all have some unique flaw/quirk/method with one common function or another.

What about that "Set Loop/Next" button on the Octapad?

wearemindflux

Re: How to assign multiple midi notes to the play button.

Post by wearemindflux » Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:00 pm

Hi

Are you in the session or arrangement view?

What you need to do is take off the globe quantize. As if it's on it will wait for a time division to launch the clip
Grab your free techno samples here>>>http://bit.ly/2YAS8so

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:55 pm

wearemindflux wrote:Hi

What you need to do is take off the globe quantize. As if it's on it will wait for a time division to launch the clip

He mentions a few times he is in Arrangement and this isn't quite the solution.

What he wishes to do is locate a section of the arrangement (I assume it is broken into multiple areas for different sections of the service) with a button press and start playback at the same time which is 2 commands which cannot be done with a single key.

Not knowing how things are setup it sounds more like using Session view would be the better option and aligning each track as a "Scene" so they can be played with a single key press. That is kind of what Session is used for and the better way to manage something like this.

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:10 pm

Ugh,

please just post your question in 1 area man, it wastes people's time when we reply to one thread and someone else replies to another.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=232879

Zhaze

Post by Zhaze » Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:10 am

jestermgee wrote:
wearemindflux wrote:Hi

He mentions a few times he is in Arrangement and this isn't quite the solution.

What he wishes to do is locate a section of the arrangement (I assume it is broken into multiple areas for different sections of the service) with a button press and start playback at the same time which is 2 commands which cannot be done with a single key.

Not knowing how things are setup it sounds more like using Session view would be the better option and aligning each track as a "Scene" so they can be played with a single key press. That is kind of what Session is used for and the better way to manage something like this.
Hey thanks for the responses! I agree that doing it in session view is the easier way to go, but I am helping a client manage their Ableton rig for their church and they would highly prefer it stay in arrangement view if at all possible.

Zhaze

Post by Zhaze » Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:13 am

jestermgee wrote:Ugh,

please just post your question in 1 area man, it wastes people's time when we reply to one thread and someone else replies to another.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=232879
Sorry! Won’t happen again.

wearemindflux

Post by wearemindflux » Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:01 am

Can you not put markers in there, then map the markers to the keyboard.

Say song 1 on marker 1 etc.

And if you want to move everything to the session, if this first option is not good enough you can select the region and then consolidate time to a new scene.

Take off the global quantized and then just use the down arrow keys to move down the scene. Or map to a keyboard encoder and use that to navigate.
Grab your free techno samples here>>>http://bit.ly/2YAS8so