Remove Audio drivers

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
le barde

Remove Audio drivers

Post by le barde » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:33 pm

Hi,

I have tried to use Ni Audio 2 DJ with Live 10 on Win10 pro.
Unsuccessful experience unfortunately.. I'm going to use RME fireface instead.
Anyway, I'm opening live and it still shows me the NI Audio 2 drivers as a choice. Which I want to remove.
I have removed the drivers from the uninstall windows tool, and it still comes up.
I have plugged the NI soundcard back, selected "remove the drivers" from device manager.. and now it well shows me that it doesn't recognize the device..
But ableton still offers me to choose that drivers... which makes me think it's not totally removed from the system.
Any idea doc ?... I would like to have this clean.

Cheers

fishmonkey

Re: Remove Audio drivers

Post by fishmonkey » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:04 am

le barde

Post by le barde » Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:53 am

Thanks for the tip but it hasn't worked. I'm still having the NI soundcard displayed.

ark

Post by ark » Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:19 pm

1) Set the Windows environment variable devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices to 1.
2) Launch the Windows device manager.
3) Step (1) will have enabled a formerly hidden menu item in the Windows device manager: “Show hidden devices” in the View menu. Turn it on.
4) The list of audio devices displayed by the device manager will now include your audio interface. It will be grayed out because the interface is not connected to the computer. There may be more than one instance of it.
5) Right-click each instance and select “Delete.” (Maybe it’s “Remove”).

That should do it.

le barde

Post by le barde » Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:02 am

Interesting ! Thanks for that trick.
Although I don't find the NI soundcard specifically.. As I said, after removing everything, the device manager would see the AUDIO2DJ as "unknown device".
I'm not sure it's anywhere in there as a device with whatever "usb controller" name.

ark

Post by ark » Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:52 pm

Another thought: Native Instruments has a not well publicized tool for removing dregs of their software.

https://support.native-instruments.com/ ... s-Windows-

If this doesn’t work, you might try reinstalling it and then using this tool to remove it.

le barde

Post by le barde » Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:24 pm

Thanks again for your good ideas.
This didn't work for the first go. But you say that if it doesn't work, I should reinstall the device & drivers and then run that little tool ? Is that correct ?

ark

Post by ark » Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:47 pm

le barde wrote:Thanks again for your good ideas.
This didn't work for the first go. But you say that if it doesn't work, I should reinstall the device & drivers and then run that little tool ? Is that correct ?
Yes. It is possible that for some reason the uninstall tool does not think that the driver is installed. But if you install it, it should certainly find it; so that if you then use the uninstall tool, it ought to uninstall more thoroughly.

ark

Post by ark » Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:48 pm

One other possibility: Look in C:\Users\<you>\AppData\Roaming\Ableton\<Live release>\Preferences\User Remote Scripts
and see if there is a folder there with a name that matches your device. If so, remove that folder after uninstalling the drivers.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:13 pm

ark wrote:One other possibility: Look in C:\Users\<you>\AppData\Roaming\Ableton\<Live release>\Preferences\User Remote Scripts
and see if there is a folder there with a name that matches your device. If so, remove that folder after uninstalling the drivers.
this.

and also, remove any application directories from 'C:\Program Files' and/or from 'C:\Program Files (x86)', respectively.

le barde

Post by le barde » Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:50 am

Register search and remove entry keys did the job.
There is specific ASIO section in there where all the remaining drivers appear.

Solution suggested on this post
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=212320&p=1764628#p1764628