Control individual simplers in drum rack with macros?

Discuss Push with other users.
gabegabe

Control individual simplers in drum rack with macros?

Post by gabegabe » Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:31 am

Hi all,

In this tutorial on the ableton website site the instructor uses macros to control individual drum sounds (simplers) inside a drum rack. But when I try the same the macros control every simpler within the drum rack at once. How can I make the macros control only one drum at a time?

Thank you for your help.

wearemindflux

Re: Control individual simplers in drum rack with macros?

Post by wearemindflux » Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:14 am

Sorry, so you want to control all the simplers at once or just 1?

So the core 808 he is using is structured as so, simplers in a drum rack in an instrument rack.

if you want to control say all the pitches at once, you need to map all the simplers pitches to one marco in the drum rack and then map that macro to the instrument rack. The reason that present has it in an instrument rather than just the drum rack is due to a compressor being applied to the output of the drum rack.

If you want to control 1 simplers parameters all you need to go is navigate to the core level of that simpler via the buttons under the encoders and press it. That will allow you to control the parameters in the simpler.
Grab your free techno samples here>>>http://bit.ly/2YAS8so

gabegabe

Post by gabegabe » Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:24 pm

Thank you for responding! Sorry for the confusing post. I am trying to control just one simpler at a time. But I am not trying to control it at the core level as you suggest. I want to control each simpler individually using the macros of the instrument rack.

When I change the value of one of the macros on the instrument rack (filter for example) it applies a filter to all the simplers. But in this tutorial starting at 0:47 the instructor uses the macros to edit each simpler individually.

Thanks again for taking the time to respond. I really appreciate it.

wearemindflux

Post by wearemindflux » Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:15 pm

You can just add all the filters to a macro.

Right click on the parameter in this case the filter cuttoff and add it to a marco, then map to all siblings

gabegabe

Post by gabegabe » Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:59 am

But when I do that and adjust the macro, it moves the filter on every simpler, not just the individual simpler I've selected.

wearemindflux

Post by wearemindflux » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:14 am

So you just want to move one filter? so say the snares filter?

If so just map that one

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:34 pm

You can’t see his Ableton Live screen.

If you could, you’d see that he is not controlling the Drum Rack macros.

He is controlling macros for the drum slots. He selects one by triggering it and that puts the blue hand in that slot. Then he can control it. If he triggers a different one from the controller, he is controlling those macros now.

Definitely not the macros on the most outer surface of the Drum Rack. I don’t remember specificily the steps for ensuring that you’re controlling one layer deep from Push instead of controlling the master macros.

gabegabe

Post by gabegabe » Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:54 pm

Thank you yur2die4! I didn't even know each drum slot had it's own set of macros. How do you control them without the push?

@wearemindflux I want to move one filter at a time and have the option of doing that on each drum.

gabegabe

Post by gabegabe » Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:05 pm

Okay I can make it work when I create a new drum rack by putting each simpler in the drum rack inside an instrument rack and assigning each macro at that level. Yes! thanks you for the help!

But I still don't understand what's going on in the video. The instructor is using the core 808 kit, which as far as I can tell is not set up with individual instrument racks with macros assigned for each simpler.