Save VST data with the clips

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.

VOTE!

Poll ended at Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:12 am

5 Stars
100%
4 Stars
No votes
3 Stars
No votes
2 Stars
No votes
1 Star
No votes

Total votes: 2

Paul G Griffiths

Save VST data with the clips

Post by Paul G Griffiths » Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:59 pm

When live loads a session, data is loaded in to the vst synths.

So, please ableton it should be possible to load data on the fly with each clip change too?

Or is there something i'm missing? unlimited clips but not sounds, just a single sound preset for each track?

Come on now team, live is 10 years old , I may sound unbelievable but creating an entire album in a single live session is too frustrating...

If you say loading data from a clip in to a vst will have a delay then have a time setting to load the data before the clip plays.
There's no excuses now to have unlimited clip sounds :) and ill be ever so happy! x
Last edited by Paul G Griffiths on Mon Dec 24, 2018 5:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
Griffiths Engines: http://griffithsengines.com - ArcturusDrive©

Paul G Griffiths

Re: Save VST data with the clips

Post by Paul G Griffiths » Mon Dec 24, 2018 4:55 am

Here's how it is, it's almost 5 in the morning and I start making music, have a decent sound and I want to blow peoples minds, but sigh, live is like a 10 second tape glued in a loop.

Should we call it loopy live? Some things don't roll right, I aint smoking your shit no more... later...

Seeing live as a spread sheet and yourself making money is a mist in your mind when you could have a decent piece of software and change the world of music..

Never mind... what am I saying, get out of bed and make your punters happy :)

"T H E D R U G S D O W O R K A N D A B L E T O N W A N T S T O S E E Y O U R F A C E A G A I N"

Only ableton would put a spoiler, go faster stripes, chrome dust caps, fluffy dice and everything else on to a washing mangle.
Now I know the word "spoiler".

I do understand why live intro has only 8 clips, it's all live is capable of and suite is only in ableton's wallet... Suite I'm making money.

Some of may remember me as AVA, remember disco light plugin crap I was creating.... well I'm off the drugs now and I'm creating my own processor/computer... Clever shit... and been playing with robotics... would like to do some lighting again thoh but live is too loopy - loopy - loopy - loopy - loopy - loop - loo - lo - l - - - - . .

Happy Christmas everyone one, and ableton have a happy excrement, I can't afford you the coal...Image

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Mon Dec 24, 2018 5:59 am

Step away from the computa.

:lol:
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

timday

Post by timday » Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:52 am

If the VST supports program change messages (most instruments do in my experience) you can do this via the pgm change boxes at the bottom left of the clip. You would have to save custom sounds as a VST preset (not an Ableton preset).

It also turns out that if you automate a parameter in one clip but not another it will return to the initial setting rather than stay on the automated value when you go toa non-automated clip. Someone posted complaining about this but to me it's a highly useful feature and gives some aspects of what you want (i.e. you cna automate one clip in a set without having to put automation in all the others returning them to a default value, and you can use this to change the sound in a clip)

So...you could use this feature to e.g. have multiple instances of the VST in a rack with differnet sounds (or even complete chains) and use the clips to switch between them by automating the chain selector. Less useful if the VST is a CPU hog like Omnisphere I suppose.

I agree it would be good to be able to save settings per clip without using automation or creating .fxp files but there are workarounds.......

Paul G Griffiths

Post by Paul G Griffiths » Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:58 am

timday wrote:If the VST supports program change messages (most instruments do in my experience) you can do this via the pgm change boxes at the bottom left of the clip. You would have to save custom sounds as a VST preset (not an Ableton preset).

It also turns out that if you automate a parameter in one clip but not another it will return to the initial setting rather than stay on the automated value when you go toa non-automated clip. Someone posted complaining about this but to me it's a highly useful feature and gives some aspects of what you want (i.e. you cna automate one clip in a set without having to put automation in all the others returning them to a default value, and you can use this to change the sound in a clip)

So...you could use this feature to e.g. have multiple instances of the VST in a rack with differnet sounds (or even complete chains) and use the clips to switch between them by automating the chain selector. Less useful if the VST is a CPU hog like Omnisphere I suppose.

I agree it would be good to be able to save settings per clip without using automation or creating .fxp files but there are workarounds.......

Timday, your a god bro! Thanks for your pgm change info! x

Paul G Griffiths

Post by Paul G Griffiths » Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:27 am

Thanks again Timday!

Ill post something soon, your be amassed!

rowe2000

Post by rowe2000 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:38 pm

I really like to be able save VST data with the clips!

I think we mean the same thing...!
See my post...
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=233581
(Sorry, I didn't see yours before posting...)

I think this request is almost the same as yours too! :D
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=233504