Time Signature Changes in Clip view

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
cassiejj

Time Signature Changes in Clip view

Post by cassiejj » Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:02 pm

Please create the possibility to change time signature inside a clip. Or at least make the feature that the time signatures in a clip are updated according to the position on the arrangement view track. What is the use of time signature changes in the arrangement view if they arent represented in the clip view :?:

Thank you :)

wearemindflux

Re: Time Signature Changes in Clip view

Post by wearemindflux » Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:25 am

Hi, they run separately, any time or tempo changes you enter in the scene information
Grab your free techno samples here>>>http://bit.ly/2YAS8so

cassiejj

Post by cassiejj » Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:56 am

Yes but you can't change the time signature during a clip right? So for example start the clip at 4/4 and then at the second bar go to 3/4, youll have to go to a new scene/clip for that, and I don't want that haha!

wearemindflux

Post by wearemindflux » Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:38 pm

Hi, you can make changes via follow actions, so you don't have to physically have to change it.
Grab your free techno samples here>>>http://bit.ly/2YAS8so

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:08 pm

You're basically asking for less power. As it stands a clip has it's own time signature, and the Arrangement can either match it or not.
Commonly you might want to keep a beat in 4/4 while the melody is in 3/4, as it stands both clips with different time signatures are not changed to fit measures they aren't actually compatible with, which is essentially what you're asking for Live to do. You have to set the time signature to something different in the clip view in the first place, and if you personally wanted your 3/4 clips to change to 4/4 (and I can't think of a single good reason you would want this?), you can select all of them and change the time signature.

I don't know of any DAWs that allow a clip in 3/4 etc. to exist in a 4/4 timeline and personally I really appreciate this feature, only the MPC2 also allows tracks to have their own time signatures separate than the sequencer timeline. This is especially useful with more complex time signatures like 7/4 9/8 etc.

matthewslaney

Post by matthewslaney » Thu Mar 10, 2022 1:06 pm

Machinesworking wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:08 pm
if you personally wanted your 3/4 clips to change to 4/4 (and I can't think of a single good reason you would want this?)
The very good reason that you would want this is if you have songs that change meter and you have a single clip that extends the entire song. For example, if you record the whole song in one take or if you're a DJ that is dropping in entire songs as clips.

In those instances, the clip will have meter changes, and currently there is no way to properly reflect that.

And for reference, having a song change meters in the middle is much, much more common than having a song with two different meters simultaneously.

jurgen.simpson

Post by jurgen.simpson » Mon Jan 08, 2024 11:06 pm

Machinesworking wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:08 pm

I don't know of any DAWs that allow a clip in 3/4 etc. to exist in a 4/4 timeline and personally I really appreciate this feature, only the MPC2 also allows tracks to have their own time signatures separate than the sequencer timeline. This is especially useful with more complex time signatures like 7/4 9/8 etc.
Basically every other DAW works this way. Look at any film score where there are multiple time signatures and try scoring the music in Ableton. How is one supposed to manage a violin part that spans the entire piece? Totally strange that arrangement view clips don't reflect the master time signature changes when viewing them. Should really be an option.