Hiccups in Ableton Live set

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
TwinPixie

Hiccups in Ableton Live set

Post by TwinPixie » Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:06 am

Hey everyone,

I have this problem where at random I get hiccups in my live set when I launch a scene or press a button on my Push 2 (for example a track select button). It’s really noticeable and very annoying in a live setting.

It happens on both my computers with different interfaces:
* computer 1: 2018, Macbook Pro with 16 gb ram, scarlett 2i2 interface
* computer 2: 2018 Mac mini with 16 gb ram, clarett 8 pre usb interface

I have my buffer size set to 256 at the moment but no matter how high it doesn’t change anything. My highest CPU spikes are at 25 %.

I’ve also removed any unnecessary stop buttons and uploaded some of my most important clips to my ram memory.

I’ve also checked to see if ‘complex warping’ was on the clips and this is not the case.

This problem is very annoying and makes it impossible to play a reliable live set so if anyone could help me that would be great.

Kind regards,

Marieke

jestermgee

Re: Hiccups in Ableton Live set

Post by jestermgee » Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:16 pm

Options > Reduced Latency While Monitoring

Try deselect this when playing live. Should prevent the stutters but you must do this on every launch. Not sure if there is an option that switches that off permanent.

If that doesn't work that's about all I got.

TwinPixie

Post by TwinPixie » Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:09 pm

jestermgee wrote:Options > Reduced Latency While Monitoring

Try deselect this when playing live. Should prevent the stutters but you must do this on every launch. Not sure if there is an option that switches that off permanent.

If that doesn't work that's about all I got.
Hey man, thanks for your reply. Unfortunately doing this doesn’t fix my problem :(

TwinPixie

Post by TwinPixie » Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:29 pm

Update about my ‘hiccup’ problem in Ableton. I’ve ruled some things out and turns out it’s my Push 2 causing this problem.

When I don’t have it connected everything works fine, I can even connect my 4 other midi controllers without any problems.

When the Push 2 is connected (both alone or combined with the other midi controllers) I get audio hiccups when I try to switch tracks on the Push 2 or in my Ableton window.

Is anyone familiar with this problem and is there a solution for it?

I can’t do a live set without the Push 2.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:07 pm

try using the power brick that came with Push, instead of relying on USB

miyaru

Post by miyaru » Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:28 pm

A hub can cause problems too, try Push on it's own USB port on the mac's......
Greetings from Miyaru.
Prodaw i7-7700, 16Gb Ram, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen, ESI M4U eX, Reason 12, Live Suit 10, Push2, Presonus Eris E8 and Monitor Station V2, Lexicon MPX1,
Korg N1, Yamaha RM1x :mrgreen:

TwinPixie

Post by TwinPixie » Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:03 am

H20nly wrote:try using the power brick that came with Push, instead of relying on USB
I’m already using the power supply, so that can’t be it. :(

TwinPixie

Post by TwinPixie » Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:07 am

miyaru wrote:A hub can cause problems too, try Push on it's own USB port on the mac's......
I do have it plugged into a hub. I’ll try plugging it directly into my Mac mini.

It won’t be that easy for my 2018 macbook pro though, as it only has thunderbolt 3 ports. Would a usb 2 to usb c cable work for that or would it give the same problems?

Anyway, I’ll first test it on my Mac mini and I’ll let you know if it works.

miyaru

Post by miyaru » Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:48 am

I'm not a Mac expert, but I understood Push 2 doesn't like hubs though.....

By the way, are you from The Netherlands or Belgium?
Greetings from Miyaru.
Prodaw i7-7700, 16Gb Ram, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen, ESI M4U eX, Reason 12, Live Suit 10, Push2, Presonus Eris E8 and Monitor Station V2, Lexicon MPX1,

TwinPixie

Post by TwinPixie » Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:56 am

miyaru wrote:I'm not a Mac expert, but I understood Push 2 doesn't like hubs though.....

By the way, are you from The Netherlands or Belgium?
I’m from Belgium, Dutch speaking part so we both speak Dutch hahaha! :-)

Anyway I’ve tried it, wasn’t the USB hub.

Then I turned off ‘delay compensation’ and ‘reduced latency when monitoring’ this seems to have stopped the problems with the Push 2. So jestermgee was right after all.

Although I still get hiccups in my audio sometimes when I launch a scene that has dummy clips in it to change midi patches with the chain selector. Any solutions for that?

miyaru

Post by miyaru » Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:06 am

Never used to do that, but midi should not be a problem at all. I your Push2 taken a heavy toll on your CPU? Or is this problem solved already - had something to do with videosettings for Mac's.

It was something like not using the onboard videochip, but the dedicated chip instead. Maybe you can find that topic in the Push section of this forum, I will look for it too. But beware I'm a Windows user LOL.......
Greetings from Miyaru.

miyaru

Post by miyaru » Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:13 am

viewtopic.php?f=55&t=223276

Here it is discussed - the cpu usage of mac's running Push2......
Greetings from Miyaru.

TwinPixie

Post by TwinPixie » Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:02 pm

miyaru wrote:Never used to do that, but midi should not be a problem at all. I your Push2 taken a heavy toll on your CPU? Or is this problem solved already - had something to do with videosettings for Mac's.

It was something like not using the onboard videochip, but the dedicated chip instead. Maybe you can find that topic in the Push section of this forum, I will look for it too. But beware I'm a Windows user LOL.......
Hey, the Push 2 is not taking a heavy toll on my CPU. push problems are all solved now. The problem I still have is audio hiccups when launching scenes that have dummy (midi) clips in them to change patches with the chain selector. This also happens when Push 2 is not connected.