Adding previews to my own drum kits

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
Athaphian

Adding previews to my own drum kits

Post by Athaphian » Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:56 pm

Hi there.

I have been searching this forum and the rest of the internet how to do this, but I cannot seem to find it. So maybe it is not even possible:

I have created a few drum kits from own samples. When I browse through the drumkits I can hear previews for all factory kits and kits from packs but my own drumkits don't have a preview.
Can I (and if so, how?) add previews for my own drumkits so that I can audition them when scrolling through the list?

Thanks in advance!

sowhoso

Re: Adding previews to my own drum kits

Post by sowhoso » Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:23 am

ALC Files: Ableton’s Best Kept Secret

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWc_S4q0-VQ

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:12 am

This would be a perfect solution..... If only Push could actually load ALC files, i'd actually start using the Push browser then :(

Athaphian

Post by Athaphian » Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:35 am

I don't like the .alc aproach for this particular use case because it always comes with a midi clip attached and most of the time I want to start fresh so I'd have to remove the midi clip which is an extra click or two. So I understand there is currently no way to add a preview to a sound like the ableton instruments do... unfortunate...

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:23 am

I've always been pretty sure that's it's absolutely doable by replicating the folders' hierarchy, compressing your preview using the same codec etc... But I've never tried because it'd pretty laborious anyway.
I use midi clips, or audio bounces to make my own previews.
Ableton Forum Moderator