Ableton

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
SankoPro

Re: Ableton trying to monopolize Plug-ins ? (READ)

Post by SankoPro » Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:09 am

fishmonkey wrote:
SankoPro wrote:Just an honest question really.
i think you're on to something bro!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urglg3WimHA

:|

SankoPro

Post by SankoPro » Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:10 am

Last edited by SankoPro on Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

SankoPro

Post by SankoPro » Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:11 am

jlgrimes

Post by jlgrimes » Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:54 pm

SankoPro wrote:
jlgrimes wrote:
SankoPro wrote:Just an honest question really. What i mean by this is that i have had multiple crashes on Live 10 from using 3rd party plug-ins... These plug-ins that CRASH ABLETON ARE NOT RANDOM PLUG-INS. I've tested this on multiple computers and laptops. Ones that have caused most crashes Are anything from Xfer Records, Native instruments including massive etc, DADA life, anything from Fabilter and so on. These either result in an instant crash or over time will make it unable to open your previous work. I have Done all types of trouble shooting, Such as Turning off the plugins and opening the project.... Which this does work.... seems to have been only a short term fix..... Then will result in Crashing Ableton with errors anytime you try opening a Project.

NOW to why my title is what it is... ONLY WHEN AND ONLY WHEN DO I DISABLE/TURN OFF ALL PLUG-INS DOES MY PROJECTS OPEN..... So i ask is this a scheme from ABleton so you only use their products and services over other 3rd parties?

Before you comment Do realize i've tested this on 4 computers that belong to me and 3 others from friends. These all have had similar results on all of them. Test have been done with different storage devices from M.2 to noraml ssd drives. From AMD cpu's like 1700/2700x to Intel 8700k, 8750h, 9900k.
From my conclusion it is a problem with the software not hardware. Also having contacted these companies(3rd party) and talking about the issue these companies were puzzled as to why their apps are having the issues. Even after sending them the information from my computers and detailed crash lists.

Also note this problem has not occurred until the launch of LIVE 10.0.5 and the 10.0.5b or whatever

Please if you have any other input or have had problems with your Live 10 please comment below. Thank you :?

I doubt it is a conspiracy but yes various plugins can and do crash Live. I get occasional crashes on my Mac. But Studio One occasionally crash as well. That said my crashes are somewhat rare. Rare enough it doesn't cause me issues. I use those same vendors as well and they all seem pretty stable on my machines and I perform live on a "Windows" laptop (performances where I get paid).

The least crash programs I have are Reason, Reaper, and Maschine but even those have faults.

Yes Native plugins are miles more stable but that is just because they are way more likely to catch/test the issues and whether the problem is with the DAW or device, they can more easily make the correction than try to work with the 3rd party as they have total control.

Native devices are usually more stable with any DAW.

I'm sure they want all VSTs to work though or they wouldn't get sales if they closed their system, as most users are using 3rd party VSTS free, paid, old, and new that they want working.

Problem could be various things. Chances are we are using different machines, OS systems, unrelated programs in the background.

See now that makes me go WTF lol. You perform live on windows and it seems to be problem free.. hmmmmm. Let me ask this. How many channels have you used at any given time on windows laptop? Also i know that would differ depending on your CPU/ram but I'm curious. Depending on your answer i may have you test something.
Also not really a conspiracy just seems like a lot of business as of recent are trying to cash grab as much as possible. For example FL studio never makes you upgrade they just update the one you already bought up to the newest version. In which Ableton gave me a discount since i bought LIVE 9 Suite.(so nice of them) To upgrade to Live 10. Which was still like $200-300 not even for the suite just to Standard 10.
WE also live a world of many micro transactions from games to apps so it wouldn't surprise me if companies like Ableton tried to make their competition less stable on their DAW so that way you would favor Their product more. Like i said its just speculation but after my tests it did make me raise the question...
This is a practice that many companies have used before.
I only use a stereo output when performing live. I’m just using Ableton to host VSTis as a big sound module.

I use a high end MSI gaming laptop.

I would consider it somewhat of a conspiracy if Ableton had a big plot to change Live in a direction they knew will upset a large percentage of their userbase especially if they are hiding their intentions.

I don’t think Ableton is popular enough to go native.

Look at Reason, they tried staying closed and eventually had to bite the bullet. Staying native is a bad idea especially when Ableton has no history of selling other software.

I think it is more likely Ableton start selling VSTs.

McAnix

Post by McAnix » Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:57 am

I get the OP's frustration, when something doesn't work no matter how hard you try it can really annoy one.

As with many users I myself use alot of 3rd party plugins especially from the companies mentioned, and honestly, the only time I get crashes is when I'm messing around with a M4L device.

So to the OP, all I can suggest is carry on trouble shooting and posting your results, the people here do help you just have to give it time, one thing most people don't realise not matter how much you think you know about the problem, there is ALWAYS a ton of variables, ALWAYS, you just have to keep on digging.

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:15 am

the best way to troubleshoot is to be methodical. there is not much point saying "i tried it on a bunch of computers and it crashed". that doesn't give us any details about what was similar or different between those tests or the computers that were used. for example, you didn't even mention if it was the same Live set? or maybe you and your friends have all installed something that is causing the problem. there are literally thousands of variables involved. jumping to wild conclusions and putting people offside doesn't aid the process.

Shift Gorden

Post by Shift Gorden » Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:01 pm

Ugh. What a pain.

I can report Ableton 10 runs well on my machine with 3rd party plugins - and I got quite a few.

I use multiple instances of Fabfilter plugs pretty much on every project and those things never cause problems (for me). Serum seems to work solidly as well.

Like McAnix mentioned, M4L devices sometimes cause me problems, though.

That's not to say I think L10 is perfect - mine does crash every time I leave a session open overnight - the system just hangs.

It is weird that it happens on all 7 of your tested systems. That's crazy.

oratowsky

Post by oratowsky » Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:20 pm

(READ)

SankoPro

Post by SankoPro » Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:44 pm

McAnix wrote:I get the OP's frustration, when something doesn't work no matter how hard you try it can really annoy one.

As with many users I myself use alot of 3rd party plugins especially from the companies mentioned, and honestly, the only time I get crashes is when I'm messing around with a M4L device.

So to the OP, all I can suggest is carry on trouble shooting and posting your results, the people here do help you just have to give it time, one thing most people don't realise not matter how much you think you know about the problem, there is ALWAYS a ton of variables, ALWAYS, you just have to keep on digging.

Yea, i think im going to make a youtube video posting the results and give a spec list showing the outcomes etc. It will take a minute but ill show more detailed examples so that way everyone could try the same stuff and
better understand i guess.....stay tuned.

Mark Williams

Post by Mark Williams » Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:49 pm

Live 10 works well with ALL my third party plugin synths & FX
Live 11, M1 Mac Mini, Push 2, Scarlett 18i20 & ADA8200, Softube Console 1 Mk2, Deepmind12, Hydrasynth, Cobalt 8M, Moog Subsequent 25, IK Uno Synth Pro, Plethora X3, Nord Drum 3P

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:11 am

fishmonkey wrote:the best way to troubleshoot is to be methodical. there is not much point saying "i tried it on a bunch of computers and it crashed". that doesn't give us any details about what was similar or different between those tests or the computers that were used. for example, you didn't even mention if it was the same Live set? or maybe you and your friends have all installed something that is causing the problem. there are literally thousands of variables involved. jumping to wild conclusions and putting people offside doesn't aid the process.
:idea:

@ SankoPro

Based on the provided information: the problem follows you from PC to PC

Conclusion: you are conspiring to undermine Ableton's VST support for a competitor

Da hand

Post by Da hand » Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:53 am

SankoPro wrote:Also note this problem has not occurred until the launch of LIVE 10.0.5 and the 10.0.5b or whatever
Man, some people have way too much time on their hands, lol.

Just go back to 10.0.4 that was working for you and then wait for the next stable version if you really feel the need to update. Why did you update if everything was working fine?

And then to follow that up with speculation about an Ableton conspiracy because one update didn't work for you... kinda ridiculous.

SankoPro

Post by SankoPro » Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:37 pm

H20nly wrote:
fishmonkey wrote:the best way to troubleshoot is to be methodical. there is not much point saying "i tried it on a bunch of computers and it crashed". that doesn't give us any details about what was similar or different between those tests or the computers that were used. for example, you didn't even mention if it was the same Live set? or maybe you and your friends have all installed something that is causing the problem. there are literally thousands of variables involved. jumping to wild conclusions and putting people offside doesn't aid the process.
:idea:

@ SankoPro

Based on the provided information: the problem follows you from PC to PC

Conclusion: you are conspiring to undermine Ableton's VST support for a competitor

lol