I'm trying to use my launchpad as a midi keyboard.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
whatup_tj

I'm trying to use my launchpad as a midi keyboard.

Post by whatup_tj » Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:10 am

I am pretty new to ableton so idk if this is possible or not, but i want to use my launchpad mk2 as a midi keyboard. Like where i can record notes and melodies using the launchpad where each pad is a different key. Thanks!!!

timday

Re: I'm trying to use my launchpad as a midi keyboard.

Post by timday » Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:19 am

Put it in user 1 mode then the keys will send note messages.

McAnix

Post by McAnix » Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:01 am

Also, in MIDI pref make sure only track is on on LP input and that the LP is set as a control surface.

whatup_tj

Post by whatup_tj » Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:39 am

So i know there is midi input, i am just confused on how i can record it like how i can record drums for a drum kit. The reason why i want to know is because i want to be able to control pitch of an 808 or make melodies easier to make

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:42 am

For the pitched 808, you also need to make sure the instrument you use within Live is a pitched 808 that responds to note input. For instance, a standard 808 drum kit would not have a pitched playable 808 bass sound by default.

As for the Launchpad and midi control, plus recording, there is a nice tool out there called LP95. It gives you a notes grid similar to that on Push. It has several layouts for note grids. It also has some added features on the buttons in the notes mode to make it easy to record. LP95 also has a few step sequencers programmed for it.

Installing the files for LP95 can be a little tricky, but if you search other users’ experiences you should be able to find tips for figuring it out.