Tips - effective beatmatching

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
LDNwell

Tips - effective beatmatching

Post by LDNwell » Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:11 am

Hi,

Im creating a mix in ableton and currently mixing 2 songs with different bpms (one at 98 and the other at 103). Im aiming to beatmatch them, it sounded good when I did an initial check in Serato pro as well.

I've warped the tracks, set the bpm session minimum to 100 and tried different approaches to adjust the tempo. Even though it sounds like the second track drops at the right point, the snares start to drift and almost feel like both tracks aren't at 100bm, but they should be. I also tried changing both Seg. BPMs of each track to 100, but still didnt have any luck.

Any tips?

S4racen

Re: Tips - effective beatmatching

Post by S4racen » Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:42 am

You don't beatmatch in Live, suggest you read the manual with regards warping....

Cheers
D

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:23 am

Tracks can sometimes go slightly out even after they have been warped.

A sign of this is that the kick (if this is e.g. techno) drifts slightly out of alignment with the bar as you scroll through the song.

What you can do is click on the warp marker where the beginning of the kick drum is (zoom, ALL THE WAY IN for this) and drag it into alignment.

I find if I go on to the end of the song (where the kick is quite out of alignment) and then drag the kick into alignment at one of the last bars, it will pull all the other kicks into alignment as well.

But this is when the track is only slightly out of alignment.

If the drift is significant (in other words, if the track drifts completely out very quickly) you may not have warped the track correctly.

McAnix

Post by McAnix » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:05 am

I have a ClipNudge M4L device that I got from Isotonik studios that i remember working quite well, I can't find the link for it though, anyone?

Post by re:dream » Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:19 pm

Basic thing is to get the warping right. Are you sure you've got that sorted? If you've got that right, you don't need ClipNudge

LDNwell

Post by LDNwell » Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:27 pm

Thanks, I’ll look into the warping again. Is it necessary for me to manually change BPMs for each track when I warp or should I just leave them as is since I already set the minimum? The genre is RnB, but remixed versions

Post by re:dream » Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:09 pm

LDNwell wrote:Thanks, I’ll look into the warping again. Is it necessary for me to manually change BPMs for each track when I warp or should I just leave them as is since I already set the minimum? The genre is RnB, but remixed versions
Normally you don't have to manually set the BPM at all.

You find the first beat (1.1.1), you tell it 'warp from here', and off you go. Ableton Live should usually be able to guess pretty accurately exactly what the BPM is for the track.

Sometimes there are problems with warping esp if the rhythms are complex or if there are subtle changes in song tempo (e.g. when you have recorded a live performance). In those case you can sometimes physically adjust warp markers. But that's unlikely in a genre such as R&B

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:00 pm

McAnix wrote:I have a ClipNudge M4L device that I got from Isotonik studios that i remember working quite well, I can't find the link for it though, anyone?
It's part of the Modular Series

https://isotonikstudios.com/product/modular-series/

Cheers
D