Launch Control XL Problems

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Dialogue productions

Launch Control XL Problems

Post by Dialogue productions » Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:57 pm

Hi guys,

So I have a problem with my live set up, occasionally my launch control XL (mapped to different parameters on the user setting) resets for some unknown reason. Have tried different cables/usb ports etc. This wouldn't normally be a problem as could just unplug and plug back in again. However when I do this, the whole project glitches and the clock (sending to drum machine etc) goes out of time. I then have to press space twice to start the clock in time. Dreading having to do this live! Does anyone have any suggestions?

I tried out a friends launch control XL and the same problem happens so don't know if its a setting on my macbook/ableton 9.7? When I tried the XL in a shop, there was no glitching or any problems when you unplug and plug back in.

Any help much appreciated. Last piece to the puzzle of a reliable set up!
Jo

Tarekith

Re: Launch Control XL Problems

Post by Tarekith » Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:15 pm

Since Novation makes the Launch Control and not Ableton, might be easier to ask them for help.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:34 pm

Could be the cable. Did you use your friend’s cable when you used theirs?

If not, it could be the physical connection on the computer or a hub if you’re using that.

McAnix

Post by McAnix » Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:45 pm

Dialogue productions wrote:Hi guys,

So I have a problem with my live set up, occasionally my launch control XL (mapped to different parameters on the user setting) resets for some unknown reason.
Jo
When you say reset, does the XL return to factory setting? I can't remember which MIDI note it was but certain notes that the XL receives will change user templates or restore the XL to factory setting. If this is the case email novation and ask them which received MIDI notes will do this. Additionally, you shouldn't need to unplug the novation. Make sure the user template is saved to the XL and if it resets just open the template again.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:31 pm

is "reduced latency when monitoring" enabled?

maybe try disabling it, if so

https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/artic ... onitoring-

Dialogue productions

Post by Dialogue productions » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:58 pm

Tarekith wrote:Since Novation makes the Launch Control and not Ableton, might be easier to ask them for help.
Okay I will ask them as well, thanks

Dialogue productions

Post by Dialogue productions » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:09 pm

H20nly wrote:is "reduced latency when monitoring" enabled?

maybe try disabling it, if so

https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/artic ... onitoring-

Tried Disabling and the whole set still glitches as I plug the XL back in

Dialogue productions

Post by Dialogue productions » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:11 pm

McAnix wrote:
Dialogue productions wrote:Hi guys,

So I have a problem with my live set up, occasionally my launch control XL (mapped to different parameters on the user setting) resets for some unknown reason.
Jo
When you say reset, does the XL return to factory setting? I can't remember which MIDI note it was but certain notes that the XL receives will change user templates or restore the XL to factory setting. If this is the case email novation and ask them which received MIDI notes will do this. Additionally, you shouldn't need to unplug the novation. Make sure the user template is saved to the XL and if it resets just open the template again.

Yes it restores to factory settings. How do it go about saving template to the XL?
Many thanks!

McAnix

Post by McAnix » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:37 pm

Do you have the Launch Control Editor? You can make custom note and cc mappings from there. I just thought that perhaps you had the editor open and the XL returned to factory without saving.

I know that CC1 will restore the XL to user preset 1 but I don't know which one returns it to factory, but it is there and novation will be able to tell you.

When your XL resets to factory just hold down user mode and select button 1 (bottom left). Additionally try and trouble shoot where this MIDI note is coming from, perhaps you can change it.

Dialogue productions

Post by Dialogue productions » Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:58 pm

McAnix wrote:Do you have the Launch Control Editor? You can make custom note and cc mappings from there. I just thought that perhaps you had the editor open and the XL returned to factory without saving.

I know that CC1 will restore the XL to user preset 1 but I don't know which one returns it to factory, but it is there and novation will be able to tell you.

When your XL resets to factory just hold down user mode and select button 1 (bottom left). Additionally try and trouble shoot where this MIDI note is coming from, perhaps you can change it.
Thanks for this. I don't think its due to receiving a Midi note. The problem is that when I unplug it and plug back in, the whole project glitches and goes completely out of time. But when I tried it the shop, could unplug and plug back in without any disruption to the set.

Is this anything to do with latency resetting?

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:23 am

No idea, that's where Novation Support should be answering...

Cheers
D