How do you securely buy a used Live license?

Looking to sell or buy gear or software? Post about it here.
Please read the License FAQ before buying or selling a Live License: http://www.ableton.com/pages/faq/license
Spillby

How do you securely buy a used Live license?

Post by Spillby » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:56 am

Hi all

I am currently using Live lite, but I've been thinking about upgrading to suite. I see there are lots of people selling used licenses on this forum, but most sellers have only 1 or 2 forum posts.

If you have to pay first, how do you know that the seller just don't take your money and never sends you the license (or the wrong kind of license)?
Is it something you can check before you pay, to avoid getting ripped off?
Safest way to pay?
Can the seller take back the license after you have got it?
Is it important to know whether the seller allready has installed Live on two computers (which is the maximum number of computers you can install it on)?

McAnix

Re: How do you securely buy a used Live license?

Post by McAnix » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:08 pm

Spillby wrote:If you have to pay first, how do you know that the seller just don't take your money and never sends you the license (or the wrong kind of license)?
"Second hand" licenses are a lot cheaper so that is the chance you take.
Spillby wrote:Can the seller take back the license after you have got it?
I have heard of this happening once.
Spillby wrote:Is it something you can check before you pay, to avoid getting ripped off?
Safest way to pay?
There is no real way to check other than asking Ableton if this person has a license but that doesn't really mean much.
I believe paypal would be the safest way, if the person rips you off paypal may be able to recover your money, but that's not a guarantee.
Spillby wrote: Is it important to know whether the seller allready has installed Live on two computers (which is the maximum number of computers you can install it on)?
This doesn't matter, once the license is transferred Live will stop working on the original owners machines.

Other warning signs could be: a very generic sounding/automated email address, the user knows little to nothing about Ableton even though they claimed to have used it, are very pushy, the deal is just too good.

Just know that many people have successfully sold and bought licenses here but, just keep your wits about you.

All the best.

doghouse

Post by doghouse » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:25 pm

Even after selliing a license, Live will still work on the seller's computer(s), he just can't download the content any more (for a reinstall) or purchase upgrades.

In theory seller A could sell to B but keep using his copy, then B could sell to C and keep using his copy, etc. Of course, that's piracy but as a buyer you have no liability if the seller keeps using Live.

McAnix

Post by McAnix » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:45 pm

doghouse wrote:Even after selliing a license, Live will still work on the seller's computer(s), he just can't download the content any more (for a reinstall) or purchase upgrades.
So even if the the seller is connected to the internet, their version will carry on working, it won't switch over into demo mode?

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:36 pm

In theory, yes.

doghouse

Post by doghouse » Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:06 pm

McAnix wrote:So even if the the seller is connected to the internet, their version will carry on working, it won't switch over into demo mode?
That's right. I discovered this myself after selling a license a few years ago (I've since bought another license). Not recommending piracy here, OK?