Link using PC and MAC without internet connexion

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
le barde

Link using PC and MAC without internet connexion

Post by le barde » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:25 pm

Hey guys,

We are having an issue here.
We want to use 2 computers, 1 mac, 1 PC, using Link without internet connexion, as we will perform outside from home.
But connecting the 2 different OS's together seems to be not so friendly.

Creating an Adhoc network on the mac doesn't let windows to connect to it.
Creating the network on windows isn't working here, after trying a good amount of the offered procedures.
(my network adapter seems to not offer local network capabilities)

Is there anything else any of you can think of to help us with that issue. I've googled around with no success so far.

Thanks

fishmonkey

Re: Link using PC and MAC without internet connexion

Post by fishmonkey » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:42 pm

use an ethernet cable to connect the two machines...

le barde

Post by le barde » Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:23 pm

Yes but no..
Needing an extra adapter usb-C to ethernet. And so many USB ports used already for controllers.
The workaround we found for now is using an access point.
Before we used bot mac machines, but one of us switched to windows. Definitely the local network between 2 macs is way easier.

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:31 pm

yep, if you have to use wifi then your own wifi access point is the way to go.

note that if you are performing in public, then using an access point introduces some vulnerabilities.

personally i always preferred wired when possible.

le barde

Post by le barde » Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:36 pm

Vulnerabilities like someone in the crowd hacking into your system ??
I guess it's a possible fact that we will have to deal with.. even very unlikely.

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:53 pm

apart from deliberate hacking (which is very easy to do), some other possible issues include interference from nearby networks, and how your access point deals with a crowd of people's devices all trying to connect to it...

TLW

Post by TLW » Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:56 am

One thing to watch for if you use wireless is Windows can sometimes have serious issues regarding audio latency, sometimes to the point audio (and software synth) processing either requires a very large ASIO buffer to avoid crackles and dropouts or even becomes impossible - and third-party wi-fi drivers are quite often the cause. Ethernet drivers can sometimes be an issue - heck, pretty much any driver can be an issue - but seem generally much more reliable.

Unfortunately even a powerful Windows PC with a fast cpu and lots of RAM can be affected by this.

You might not have any problem, but if you do I suggest you look at https://www.resplendence.com/latencymon for a fuller explanation and run their free tool to check for issues. Setting up a PC for low-latency reliable audio work can often be a bit more involved than setting up a Mac system.
Live 10 Suite, 2020 27" iMac, 3.6 GHz i9, MacOS Catalina, RME UFX, assorted synths, guitars and stuff.