Files in Project folder not found (initially)

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Razzkazz

Files in Project folder not found (initially)

Post by Razzkazz » Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:05 pm

I am collaborating on projects with a friend and he sent me a zip file of the Project folder. When I initially opened the session it said all the files were missing even though they were located in the Project folder. After I did a search for the missing files in the project folder all files were found.

Does anyone know what causes this?
MBP M1 Max, MOTU Ultralite, Faderfox PC4, Akai LPD8, Push, Clyphx Pro
-----------------------------------------------
https://alangleeson.bandcamp.com/

jestermgee

Re: Files in Project folder not found (initially)

Post by jestermgee » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:27 pm

Quite possibly the other user had the samples within the project folder but didn't do a "collect all and save" when saving it before sending.

If they loaded the samples, even from within the project dir, then it would have the absolute path to the samples stored within the project so if you do not have it at the exact location on your drive at your end, the files are "missing".

When you do a collect/save, it places the files within a specific folder within the project folder and sets a path relative to the project so it can then be moved.

If you want to fix it on your end, just collect/save then reopen and see if it fixes the paths.

Razzkazz

Re: Files in Project folder not found (initially)

Post by Razzkazz » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:52 pm

these were samples that were recorded into the session, they resided in the samples/recorded folder, so this is one of the default locations for samples. I have shared and received a lot of projects over the years, this is my first experience of this.
MBP M1 Max, MOTU Ultralite, Faderfox PC4, Akai LPD8, Push, Clyphx Pro
-----------------------------------------------
https://alangleeson.bandcamp.com/