Operator clicking noise will be the death of me...help?

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
bluric

Operator clicking noise will be the death of me...help?

Post by bluric » Tue Apr 04, 2006 5:32 am

Hey there,

although I'm not a fan of reposting the same question in other sub-forums, well, no one replied, and I'd really like to figure this thing out! original post below...if you have any tips, please let me know! Thanks.

----

Hey there,
Well, I'm sort of new to playing around with the Operator synth, but have been noticing that there seem to be clicking noises on each note I play, and when I record a clip. It doesn't seem like it's any buffering/audio latency issue, but rather an Attack issue.

I'm using the Operator, with the Saw3 waveform, with around 18 kH of Freq, and no Res, very basic stuff here. Yet as much as I try to modify every single parameter, I still hear that damn clicking noise...Although I love Live, I've never had this problem in Reason. You simply lowered the Attack a bit and the clicking vanished. In Operator, however, nothing I do kills the clicking! Tried EQ, Compression, attack, decay, everything.

Any clues/tips?

Thanks.

PLB

Post by PLB » Tue Apr 04, 2006 5:54 am

i played around with it a little bit... i can get the clicking to go away but adjusting only the peak of the envelope.

bluric

Yep, Operator is the death of me.

Post by bluric » Tue Apr 04, 2006 6:04 am

Hey there,
Thanks for replying. I tried messing with the peak, but that doesn't help much. I mean this honestly sounds like a small bass drum hitting every time I have a note play, I don't know how this happens.

I've even messed around with the Live preset beats in Operator...same thing still happens. Nasty clicking sounds on each note.

I've messed with every single known parameter...I guess maybe the Attack needs to be worked on in Live 6? Ugh.

Thanks for the reply anyways...

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:40 am

Maybe it's the voice retrigger. The little red "R" on the operator.

Michael-SW

Post by Michael-SW » Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:56 am

Now, I know almost nothing about Operator, but a little bit about synths. The clicking sounds like a free running oscillator with a fast attack envelope. When the envelope triggers, the output waveform jumps from zero to where the oscillator waveform happens to be. It shouldn't be that noticeable with a saw waveform though, since that is what a saw does anyway.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:08 am

Michael-SW wrote:Now, I know almost nothing about Operator, but a little bit about synths. The clicking sounds like a free running oscillator with a fast attack envelope. When the envelope triggers, the output waveform jumps from zero to where the oscillator waveform happens to be. It shouldn't be that noticeable with a saw waveform though, since that is what a saw does anyway.
Yeah, that sounds like the voice retrigger to me.
When turned off, the attack will not cut in the release of the previous note. (or something like that)

Clicks at the end of a sound are usually caused by having a too short release on one or some of the modulating signals. (lfo, filter, oscillators)

Sildeferme

Re: Operator clicking noise will be the death of me...help?

Post by Sildeferme » Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:50 pm

I solved the problem. I was also having the same clicking noises. When i looked at my midi i noticed that the click always happened at the end of my midi-noto, so just making the note longer is one option. The other option is to make your decay and release shorter.

Hope this helps!

Mr.Morton

Post by Mr.Morton » Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:33 am

This still seems to be happening to me too. Same thing, it happens on my midi as well, but if I want multiple notes quicker it doesn't help. Also, I've turned the decay and release right down, (tried all positions really), still getting the clicking noise. :(

gorskkr

Post by gorskkr » Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:57 pm

Has anyone figured this out? I'm surprised no one has come up with answer to this especially with all the snyth dynamos out there on this board..........

NoSonic822

Post by NoSonic822 » Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:19 am

increase your osc attack time...increase your release time above 50ms

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:21 am

Inversoundzzz wrote:increase your osc attack time...increase your release time above 50ms
Yep, this.

The click at the end is the result of the Operator stopping sound when the waveform is at a non-zero point in its cycle Increasing the release time allows it to reduce amplitude more slowly

gorskkr

Post by gorskkr » Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:14 pm

re:dream wrote:
Inversoundzzz wrote:increase your osc attack time...increase your release time above 50ms
Yep, this.

The click at the end is the result of the Operator stopping sound when the waveform is at a non-zero point in its cycle Increasing the release time allows it to reduce amplitude more slowly
I did try this... Here's a test you can do to get a better idea of what I mean... I fooled around with Release and attack and it still happened. Re:Dream try this and get back to me:

Let's say you open up a default Operator with a sine wave. Make a one bar loop and draw in 4 quarter notes of the same note (say G3). Play the track and you'll notice there's a pop at the beginning of each midi note. The pop sounds like a little kick drum is playing in addition to your G3 sine wave.

From here I tried adjusting everything including of course attack and realease and it still presented itself... Someone else has even commented that this is pretty weak for Operator to do....But again try what I suggested before you get back

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:15 pm

Okay. The original lost is probably not the same thing as what you are experiencing.

There are several factors that can contribute to many Kinds of popping noises etc.

There are filter envelopes, volume envelopes, retriggering, oscillator phase, harsh detunings (especially of harmonically rich oscillators), pitch envelope, even a wrong compression/limiter setting.

The one being described by the most recent poster probably has to do with either retrigger or OSC phase or even the Release time.

You can turn the Retrigger button off, what this does is when there are redundant triggerings of a single note, like C3, when off it'll let the release of the previous instance trail off as the new instance is triggered. Of course this is just asking for phasing issues, so it is best to really tighten up the amplitude envelopes to avoid clashing.

You can change the Phase of the oscillator.... But now that I think about it, this probably won't fix it because the oscs are probably already at the ideal setting for dealing with this. On analog synths there is sometimes the option for the oscillator to not be retriggered.

I guess I'd check the envelopes on all the oscillators and the filter.

As for the original post, he seems to mention there being popping sounds throughout the tones, perhaps he was having driver issues,.... But that wouldn't make sense since he also mentions that standard vsts did not have this same issue.

ElectricEddy

Post by ElectricEddy » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:45 pm

This most likely relates to the length of consecutive midi notes of the same pitch. If you have two notes of the same pitch that are close to each other and the length is not quantised, this can cause a clicking sound. Try temporarily moving the note to another pitch to see if the click disappears. If the click goes, move it back to the original pitch and adjust the length of the note with snap to Fixed Grid set to 1/32. Shorten the note a bit to a fixed grid position and the click should disappear.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:54 pm

Posted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 5:32 am
13 years

Ladies and gentlemen surely the new necrobump champion!