Disable Automation Recording in Arrangement View (Bug)

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
docbot

Disable Automation Recording in Arrangement View (Bug)

Post by docbot » Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:43 pm

I think this is actually a bug, considering there is now dedicated Buttons to

1.) Disable Automation Recording
2.) Lock Automation Lanes

Problem

If you want to record from Sessions View into the Arrangement View in a more dubby Way (adjusting faders on bit on the fly), but actually just want to jam out a Arrangement, there is no way to disable the recording of the Volume Automation. This Behaviour seems like a bug, because it also does so when Automation Recording is actually off and also if the Automation Lanes are locked. Which both should make Ableton not do this. Sure you can delete all the automation afterwards, but it's a hassle to have to do this every time and it just seems like a Bug (Usability wise).

If I'm doing something wrong, please enlighten me.

pottering

Re: Disable Automation Recording in Arrangement View (Bug)

Post by pottering » Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:17 pm

It is not a bug, as it is mentioned in the manual.

https://www.ableton.com/en/manual/sessi ... rrangement
During Session-to-Arrangement recording, automation in Session clips is always recorded to the Arrangement, as are any manual changes to parameters in tracks that are being recorded from the Session.
♥♥♥

chrk

Post by chrk » Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:33 am

And https://www.ableton.com/en/manual/autom ... -envelopes is about keeping them in their place on the timeline/grid when clips are moved.

docbot

Post by docbot » Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:14 pm

Just because it is stated in the manual doesn't make this behaviour logical imo.
Doing this should be easily possible, but it's not

docbot

Post by docbot » Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:03 pm

Still need somebody to help me out, I'm looking for a way to jam out my tracks from the scene view into the arrangment view without recording volume automation while still being able to adjust the volume faders on the fly? I am sure this must be possible somehow

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:26 pm

docbot wrote:without recording volume automation while still being able to adjust the volume faders on the fly?
So you don't want the volume automation but want to adjust the volume?

Doesn't really make sense the way you've put it so it wouldn't be possible....

Cheers
D

pottering

Post by pottering » Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:00 pm

Record the automation using a Utility instead of the Mixer slider (or vice versa).

You can use Groups too, they have another gain slider (it is located after the Tracks' faders in the signal flow, while an Utility would be pre-fader, obviously).
♥♥♥

docbot

Post by docbot » Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:39 pm

S4racen wrote:
docbot wrote:without recording volume automation while still being able to adjust the volume faders on the fly?
So you don't want the volume automation but want to adjust the volume?

Doesn't really make sense the way you've put it so it wouldn't be possible....

Cheers
D
why? have you heard of dub mixing? I often just make changes to volume relationships while getting the sequence down, but don't want to actually record volume automation.

clay

Post by clay » Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:42 am

i am also doing dub mixes using ableton and am having the same issues. I just want to record the audio to new tracks, no automation, no session view clip positions - any workarounds?

another thread on this here - attempting to disable recording session view clip position in the arrange view
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=228522&p=1764672#p1764672

clay

Post by clay » Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:31 pm

Hey Peter,

i think i may have already replied to you in the other thread? The OP in this thread wants to mix in a dubby way eg using faders and knobs to both arrange the track and add fx like in the old school dub way, thats what i am doing too. Its heaps of fun and as i said in the other thread, i hate using the mouse!

I have been using Ableton since v5 so whilst I'm no certified trainer :wink: , i'd like to think ive got a pretty good idea of the various workflows possible in ableton. Ive produced tracks in pretty standard ways, moving rectangles around in arrangement view and doing automation, recording from push etc. Im always up for learning something new though. I thought about your idea of recording into session view and that would solve some problems but i think it would also take multiple extra steps to get it into arrange view to mix it.

Like i said, there is no wrong or right, its just a personal preference and it would be great if Ableton allowed us to turn off recording of clips into arrange view, like they allow us to turn off automation.

ShelLuser wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:54 am
Why use the arrangement view for such experimental tracks in the first place then?

This is easily done in the session view, so why not use that?

(edit)

I can't help wonder if the real underlying issue here is not fully understanding the concepts and workflow of Live. It would seem many people are convinced that the arrangement and session view use different tracks or different setups or such. It doesn't. Some even believe that you can do audio export from the arrangement and not from the session view, which is also wrong.

(edit2)

Another issue; this is all about recording material from the session view into the arrangement, at that time recording automation is mandatory because... that's the stuff which is required for building your arrangement. If you don't want this then I wonder why you'd use the session view in the first place? Directly recording your material into the arrangement view will prevent automation to record. Recording it into the session view without automation turned on: idemditto. But recording from session into arrangement is different.

As such I can't help wonder if this suggestion isn't mostly based on a misunderstanding of some of Live's basic concepts.