Hardware synths that can be automated in ableton

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
sanny.verkissen

Hardware synths that can be automated in ableton

Post by sanny.verkissen » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:55 pm

Hi guy's and girls,

I'm looking for a hardware synth with analoge vibe that I can automate in ableton.

Any suggestions?

Thnx

TLW

Re: Hardware synths that can be automated in ableton

Post by TLW » Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:28 pm

Any analogue synth that’s MIDI controllable is automatable in Live.

There’s lots of them.
Live 10 Suite, 2020 27" iMac, 3.6 GHz i9, MacOS Catalina, RME UFX, assorted synths, guitars and stuff.

sanny.verkissen

Post by sanny.verkissen » Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:23 pm

TLW wrote:Any analogue synth that’s MIDI controllable is automatable in Live.

There’s lots of them.
Well I was looking at the korg ms20 mini, but from what I read it's not possible.

timday

Post by timday » Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:36 pm

You can do a fair bit on a mini with a MIDI-CV converter (Korg's SQ-1 will do the job as well as being a decent sequencer) and even by sending audio signal into the ESP section and using the env out to control other parameters, but not everything on the mini is automatable (i.e. not everything has a patch point so things like PWM and enveope release you can't touch regardless of your DAW or other hardware). Converters also will generally only let you do a couple of parameters at a time as they are limited by the number of physical outputs.

So otherwise anything MIDI controllable as TLW wrote, and any parameter with a CV patch point via a converter.

You will likely also find that for many popular MIDI controllable synths someone has built a M4L device that will let you control it like a plugin rather than using clip envelopes, and the exceptions you can use things like control change 8 as the basis for plugin type control. I do most of my hardware control like this and find it a big advantage over other DAWs.

doghouse

Post by doghouse » Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:11 pm

Read the manual for the synth. In it will be a discussion of the MIDI features. It's often at the end of the manual in an appendix. Look for mention of sending and receiving CC (continuous controller) messages. Most mfrs have downloadable manuals on their websites.

The easy way to tell if a synth can be automated: does it have patch memory? If not, it most likely cannot be controlled by MIDI CCs or NRPNs. There are a few exceptions, like the Korg Volcas which have no patch memory but do support CC control.

What timday is describing is buying extra hardware to control a few parameters on an MS20 via patch cables. If you do not already own an MS20, you would be much better off buying something else.

sanny.verkissen

Post by sanny.verkissen » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:26 pm

Thank guys, getting wiser.

Was looking at the moog minitaur and arturia brute at the moment.

doghouse

Post by doghouse » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:36 pm

Mintaur can be automated. There are two M4L devices available that you can use for this purpose, you can record your knob tweaks while the Minitaur is being played or you can draw in CC automation manually.

Brutes can not be automated.

Mark Williams

Post by Mark Williams » Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:20 am

Try the Deepmind 12 too.
Live 11, M1 Mac Mini, Push 2, Scarlett 18i20 & ADA8200, Softube Console 1 Mk2, Deepmind12, Hydrasynth, Cobalt 8M, Moog Subsequent 25, IK Uno Synth Pro, Plethora X3, Nord Drum 3P

pottering

Post by pottering » Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:37 pm

Bass Station 2 and Circuit Mono Station

Peak too, probably. It is newer and seems kinda made for that.
♥♥♥

sanny.verkissen

Post by sanny.verkissen » Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:29 pm

Thnx guy, this is what I was looking for.