How do I tell which instrument is playng my sound

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
mgr

How do I tell which instrument is playng my sound

Post by mgr » Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:10 am

Could someone please explain how do I tell which instrument is playing my sound ?
Sounds like stupid question, I know.

So, I select a device group .adg file from the Sounds folder in the browser,
double click it, it gets loaded onto a track, and displays those Macro Controls in the device chain, but nothing else.
I have no idea which instrument is actually playing the sound, I can not display it, and that also means I can not edit any sound parameters either.
I guess it must be some more advanced instrument as it responds to aftertouch, for example.

Also, when I open .adv file, it opens with an instrument visible in device chain, but as the instrument is renamed after the name of the sound, I can not tell what instrument it is, unless I recognize it visually. Is there a way to show that it is the Simpler, for example ? Some right-click properties or so ?

chrk

Re: How do I tell which instrument is playng my sound

Post by chrk » Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:00 pm

mgr wrote:it gets loaded onto a track, and displays those Macro Controls in the device chain, but nothing else.
You see the tree little buttons left of the macro controls, the one at the top toggles the macro control view itself, the second one togles the chain list view, the one at the bottom toggles the device view.

From your other thread (Session View playing entire song instead of just one clip) I can see that you're using Live Lite. That limits your options for editing instrument- or drumracks. It may even disable the device view control in racks altogether, but at the very least you won't be able to open and edit them as soon as there is one single instrument or effect device in there that's not licensed with Live Lite.
mgr wrote:Also, when I open .adv file, it opens with an instrument visible in device chain, but as the instrument is renamed after the name of the sound, I can not tell what instrument it is, unless I recognize it visually. Is there a way to show that it is the Simpler, for example ? Some right-click properties or so ?
I'd say no, but there may be a workaround: Those same sounds are also filed in the instrument section of Live's browser. Type the name into the search field above the browser, then click on the instruments section.

mgr

Post by mgr » Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:57 pm

chrk wrote:
mgr wrote:it gets loaded onto a track, and displays those Macro Controls in the device chain, but nothing else.
You see the tree little buttons left of the macro controls, the one at the top toggles the macro control view itself, the second one togles the chain list view, the one at the bottom toggles the device view.

From your other thread (Session View playing entire song instead of just one clip) I can see that you're using Live Lite. That limits your options for editing instrument- or drumracks. It may even disable the device view control in racks altogether, but at the very least you won't be able to open and edit them as soon as there is one single instrument or effect device in there that's not licensed with Live Lite.
mgr wrote:Also, when I open .adv file, it opens with an instrument visible in device chain, but as the instrument is renamed after the name of the sound, I can not tell what instrument it is, unless I recognize it visually. Is there a way to show that it is the Simpler, for example ? Some right-click properties or so ?
I'd say no, but there may be a workaround: Those same sounds are also filed in the instrument section of Live's browser. Type the name into the search field above the browser, then click on the instruments section.
Thank you very much. I guess that must be the case, the Lite version does not allow me to edit or even display instruments which are not available in that version, while still allowing me to use them AS IS. The three buttons on the left side are not there.

Also, the workaround you suggested for finding the instrument in the browser is a good idea, thanks.

chrk

Post by chrk » Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:35 pm

mgr wrote:Thank you very much. I guess that must be the case, the Lite version does not allow me to edit or even display instruments which are not available in that version, while still allowing me to use them AS IS. The three buttons on the left side are not there.
You're welcome. I have been in that place as user of Live Intro for a while before upgrading straight to the Suite for the big introduction disount when Live 9 was released. :wink: