group clips

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
[art]

group clips

Post by [art] » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:08 am

this is kind've a funny one, but useful i think, and apt since the introduction of lives nested groups

it's simply carrying over a pretty standard functionality of the arrangement view, into the session view

it could apply to groups, but also just any multiple selected clips in session

a simple way to understand it would be like this:

a set of grouped tracks has a 'group clip' on the group channel strip

currently there's a play button - great

but unlike the arrangement, where i can click play on the timeline anywhere i choose across grouped clips of all sorts of lengths, in the session view i cant really do that

i cant, just say, for a group, click play 2 bars into the loop

obviously for this idea the tracks would need to be warped and looped to do this

but if they were, then my 'group clip' becomes a kind've master clip for the whole group, maybe it could show ghosted waveforms or something, and it would be looped ad infinitum, you could zoom in and out and each waveform would be looped to its own length

so maybe one clip in your group is just like, a drum kit, but maybe another loop in the group is a much longer sample, and you wanna click play later on in that clip, but have the loop stay in sync

anyway just an idea, group clips

shows all the clips currently in a group ghosted over each other, so you can move around and play wherever you want within grouped loops

maybe its better to think of it as a 'scene clip', its probably the most easy way to understand it

coz technically i guess you can have clips all up and down the session view playing at any one time, not just a straight line...

wouldn't that be cool though? select a bunch of clips in a group and hit 'make group clip', so whenever you fire that group clip, it fires those clips, no matter where they are in the session view
Last edited by [art] on Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[art]

Re: group clips

Post by [art] » Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:14 pm

this is the current implementation

chapelier fou

Re: group clips

Post by chapelier fou » Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:33 pm

I love the idea and feel the need for it as well. I'll think of a smart way to do this with M4L. It's definitely doable, but some situations could be tricky.
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1