Ableton Plug-In Problems

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
PJL

Ableton Plug-In Problems

Post by PJL » Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:38 pm

Hi there, I've recently tried installing some plug-ins into Ableton from this website:
https://varietyofsound.wordpress.com/downloads/

The thing is, I'm not sure how exactly to install the plug-ins. After downloading, the file simply appears in my "Downloads section", and I'm lost as to what to do after that. The official website mentions that third-party plug-ins are "usually installed to a subfolder of Program Files which is named after the plug-in developer." and that "The default system folder for VST plug-ins is: C:\Program Files\VSTPlugins - 64-bit plug-ins."

However, in my Program files, I have neither an Ableton subfolder or a VSTPlugins sub-folder. Am I supposed to create one myself? I'm not sure if there is something wrong with the Ableton installation as all my other DAW applications, upon installing, have a subfolder created.

If anyone has any experience with such issues, your advice would be appreciated immensely. Thank you!

pottering

Re: Ableton Plug-In Problems

Post by pottering » Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:31 pm

I did it similar to this (one VST folder with categories subfolders):

https://music.tutsplus.com/tutorials/qu ... udio-10021

(But I prefer to put the "VSTPlugins" folder in root C.)

Further details:

https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/artic ... on-Windows
♥♥♥

chrk

Post by chrk » Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:45 pm

PJL wrote:After downloading, the file simply appears in my "Downloads section",
Do you know what a zip archive is?
PJL wrote:However, in my Program files, I have neither an Ableton subfolder or a VSTPlugins sub-folder. Am I supposed to create one myself? I'm not sure if there is something wrong with the Ableton installation as all my other DAW applications, upon installing, have a subfolder created.
Live does not install into Program Files but into Program Data. But the VST folder is not supposed to be a subfolder of your Live installation anyway.

On the other hand, simply forget the Variety of Sounds plugins. They are 32 bit VST and no longer compatible with Live. They're abondoned, haven't been updated in five plus years. The developer has moved on and now publishes through Tokyo Dawn Labs.

PJL

Post by PJL » Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:50 am

chrk wrote:"Do you know what a zip archive is?",
Somewhat, it's mostly a folder that compresses the data of all the files inside to save data!
chrk wrote:"Live does not install into Program Files but into Program Data. But the VST folder is not supposed to be a subfolder of your Live installation anyway.",
I see! How do I access Program Data then? Additionally, I managed to locate a VSTPlugins folder under "Steinberg" in my Program Files, that should be correct one yes? So if I want to install plug-ins do I just copy and paste .dll files into that?

chrk

Post by chrk » Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:03 am

chrk wrote: simply forget the Variety of Sounds plugins. They are 32 bit VST and no longer compatible with Live.