External Instrument [Purchase// | Aleternatives??]

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
bwblaylock

External Instrument [Purchase// | Aleternatives??]

Post by bwblaylock » Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:08 pm

I am stuck with Ableton Live LITE as of right now, but I really need the functionality of the External Instrument for my live workflow. I searched the shop but i could not find where you can purchase the 'External Instrument' by itself. Does anyone know if there is a way to purchase that separately?? If not,... does anyone know of any work-around's or 3rd party utilities that can get close Until i can purchase the Standard version?

[jur]
Site Admin

Re: External Instrument [Purchase// | Aleternatives??]

Post by [jur] » Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:48 pm

You can't buy it as an add-on, you need Standard.
The workaround is to use a midi track with its output set to your external gear, and an audio track with its input set to your external source's audio signal.
Ableton Forum Moderator

bwblaylock

Re: External Instrument [Purchase// | Aleternatives??]

Post by bwblaylock » Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:51 pm

Thats where I was as well.... however what Im trying to do is to set up multiple patches on my external gear and use the chain selector to basically switch the outgoing midi channel. End goal is this. I'll have 7 Ableton tracks with multiple VST patches, and then one Ableton Track pointing to my external soundsource --- using the chain selector to switch between the patches to mix-n-match VST instruments with my external sounds.

Does that make sense?