Recording a solo over a loop

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Noodles_

Recording a solo over a loop

Post by Noodles_ » Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:14 am

Hey guys first time posting here! I'm getting into Ableton and learning how to use the DAW coupled with MIDI inputs. I'm trying to loop an 8 bar portion of what I created over and over, then experimenting over it with a keyboard solo. I don't want to simply record those 8 bars over and over, rather I want to record in a long stretch so I can noodle around on the keys while capturing everything.

I know I could probably copy + paste those 8 bars and stretch it x100 for a long time frame to solo in, but I was curious if there was a cleaner way to go about this

Thanks guys, I appreciate your time + attention :D

Noodles_

Re: Recording a solo over a loop

Post by Noodles_ » Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:28 pm

bump?

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:49 pm

Maybe look at how the session mode works as that is basically what it is designed for.

Create a loop in one clip on a channel, then you can play on the second channel while looping the first and then record.

If you want to overdub on the existing channel you can just play along and then when ready, press the OVERDUB button and it will mix your notes.

If you are using Live 10 you also have the "Capture" feature which does recording in the background all the time so you can noodle around as you play and if you liked what you did, hit Capture and it creates a new clip.

Noodles_

Post by Noodles_ » Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:57 pm

thanks for some direction, I'll follow up with that

cheers