Korg monologue analog synthesizer setup with Ableton

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
broome

Korg monologue analog synthesizer setup with Ableton

Post by broome » Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:35 am

For the love of God I can not find anything on the net on how to set this thing up. Manual is no help.
My set up:
Mac Laptop
Daw Ableton
Audio Interface Scarlet 2i4
Novation Launchkey Mini
I have my USB going into a Belkin 4-Port USB 3.0 hub. The mini Launchkey and the Audio Interface and external drive all connect into my computer and ...That set up works fine.

PROBLEM.

I bought the Korg Monologue Synth. Ran Midi In & Out to the Audio Interface. Ran the USB from the synth to the Belkin port (which connects to the computer).

In Ableton:
Audio Input/Output Device is set to Scarlet AI
Link Midi: Control Surface set to Launkey Mini, In/Out put as well.
Midi Ports: thats were it is messy and confusing.??? everything is set to "On"

Now, I went and got the Korg Monologue Synth
and cannot figure it out.

I tried running the USB straight into the computer. Nothing.

any help would be appreciated.

Spent over 12hrs searching the web and nothing is out there.

miyaru

Re: Korg monologue analog synthesizer setup with Ableton

Post by miyaru » Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:54 am

You've got a reply on your PM.....
Greetings from Miyaru.
Prodaw i7-7700, 16Gb Ram, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen, ESI M4U eX, Reason 12, Live Suit 10, Push2, Presonus Eris E8 and Monitor Station V2, Lexicon MPX1,
Korg N1, Yamaha RM1x :mrgreen:

miyaru

Post by miyaru » Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:59 am

Another thing: Midi out from Korg goes to Midi in on interface! Midi in on Korg goes to Midi out on interface.

If you use USB from Korg, install device drivers for it, but those of Korg can be messy! And it is only for Midi.

You need to connect the audio out of Korg to your interface in(s).
Greetings from Miyaru.
Prodaw i7-7700, 16Gb Ram, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen, ESI M4U eX, Reason 12, Live Suit 10, Push2, Presonus Eris E8 and Monitor Station V2, Lexicon MPX1,
Korg N1, Yamaha RM1x :mrgreen:

broome

Post by broome » Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:38 pm

OMG. Why doesn't someone explain this!!!!
Thanks to all. But I have tried all of that.

Figured it out. on the External Instrument placed on a midi track, from the Audio To pull down list, choose the Audio Interface which is where the Midi data is coming from, in my case Scarlet Si4. That's right, the audio interface. Channel is the first channel since my 1/4" is coming from the Korg to the Scarlet and plugged into one of two (which someguy at Guitar Center told me "that's your channel bro, left is Channel 1 and there on the right is 2). And audio from on the External Instrmument is Ch 1.

Now I can write, enable the Automation Arm button to automation recording. And plays back.
No need to record to an audio track.

THAT'S IT!!!
I must do a video on this. It took me over 2 days of hunting and asking and there were no answers until I saw this one video "choose where your midi data is coming from, my is coming from my audio interface sound card which is receiving from the synth " wtf@#&%!*&#@

wow.

zzuzen

Post by zzuzen » Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:42 pm

hiya ;) I suppose I have similar problem, maybe refreshing this subject could help coz it seems like someone has got it figured out :D
Basically I'm trying to save some patterns from Monologue to my pc (Win10, 64) through Sound Librarian buuut neither SL or Ableton can recognise the synth. I'm using USB cable.
I've installed and then reinstalled the drivers and the problem doesn't seem to be in that. As well my computer can see and recognises the synth in Devices Manager but still... not the programms that are meant for it eh.. any tips?

doghouse

Post by doghouse » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:13 am

Read p. 42 of the Monologue manual and make sure all these settings are correct.

MIDI Ch: set this to 1

Clock Source [Auto (USB), Auto (MIDI), Internal] Set to Auto USB

Enable Rx MIDI [O , On] must be ON

En Rx Transport [O , On] nust be on whenever you want the Monologue sequencer to respond to Live's transport starting and stopping and 0 whenever you want the Monologue to ignore Live's transport

Enable Tx MIDI [O , On] must be ON

MIDI Route [USB+MIDI, USB] either setting is OK, but setting to USB is a good idea if you won't ever be using MIDI cables

Read p.52 and 53 for more details about what these settings are for.

If you are using a hub between the Korg and PC, try connecting the Korg direct to the PC instead. Hubs can cause many problems with both MIDI and audio interfacing.

See p. 45 about dumping. Make sure you use All Dump (USB) not All Dump (MIDI).