Boy do I feel stupid...

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
RM20

Boy do I feel stupid...

Post by RM20 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:36 pm

Hey All,

I'm pretty new to Ableton, so I'm sorry if this is a really stupid question. I've been recording stuff for many years and have never had this issue, and I just cant figure it out :oops:

I'm trying to record vocals. I have the beat in Track 1 that should be playing as I record. I have a mic plugged into my interface, which is plugged into my computer, and the mic is recording just fine. The problem is that while I record the vocals, Ableton is also recording the beat that is playing on Track 1. As a workaround, I got rid of the beat on Track 1, and played it on Groove Music on my PC as I recorded in Ableton. But Ableton is still recording the music playing from Groove. And I don't mean its just recording the sound coming from my headphones, its recording the beat in its full glory. I'm baffled and could really use some help. Appreciate anyone's feedback, thanks!

Roc

Tarekith

Re: Boy do I feel stupid...

Post by Tarekith » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:01 am

I assume you're recording the vocals on Track 2? If so, what is the track input set to? Press the little "I/O" button on the far right side of Live's session view to see the ins and outs on a track.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

RM20

Post by RM20 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:02 pm

Thanks for the response. Yes, the vocals are on Track 2, and the input is set to "1", which is the one my mic is plugged into on the interface.

RM20

Post by RM20 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:27 pm

Its so weird, it's recording everything from my computer. I played a YouTube video and pressed record (with the volume turned completely down) and Ableton records the full volume audio. Im so perplexed

david.barker

Post by david.barker » Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:26 pm

Hi bud :D
No don't feel stupid,everyone makes mistakes thats how we learn.Heck!! I'm 53 and still learning Ableton Live,lol :D

Have you
1) checked to see that you are using only your audio interface,and not your computers sound card? In preferences checked your audio device setup?

2) checked that you have not record armed your beat track?

3) Routed your tracks correctly (audio to, Master as an example)?

Can you post a screenshot of your problem,please?

Bound to be someone here who can help you
Dell Optilplex 9010,Windows Pro 10 10 64 bit .16GB ram, Intel i5 3570 chip,@ 3'40GHz 4 cores
1TB SSD main drive, external drive 6TB SSD for various Kontakt libraries

https://soundcloud.com/ambientdavemusic

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:29 pm

What's your audio interface?
What is selected in Live's audio Preferences?
You maybe have some kind of internal routing in your sound card that need to be turned off.
Ableton Forum Moderator

RM20

Post by RM20 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:37 pm

Thanks guys. I took some screenshots of my session but I don't know how to attach them here (because again, I'm stupid lol). Im running Windows 10, my interface is a Steinberg UR 22 mk II. I agree with the bit about the internal routing in my sound card, any ideas how to remedy that?

doghouse

Post by doghouse » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:17 am

See p.7 of the UR22 manual:
Enable Loopback
Turns the loopback function on and off with check box.
Check the check box to set the loopback function on and off.
HINT
What is loopback?
Loopback is a convenient function for broadcasting over the Internet. It mixes the input audio signals (such as microphone and guitar) with the audio signals playing back in the software in the computer into two channels in the UR22mkII, and sends them back to the computer.
Uncheck the box in the driver control panel!!!

RM20

Post by RM20 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:58 am

Doghouse, I think you are right, this is the issue. I've been trying for the past hour to access the driver control panel and I'm taking L's left and right. When I access the device and select the driver tab, it just shows me basic info about it, lets me disable/uninstall it. I'm not seeing any option to do as you instructed. Ill keep trying, thank you very much for looking into this

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:19 am

RM20 wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:58 am
Doghouse, I think you are right, this is the issue. I've been trying for the past hour to access the driver control panel and I'm taking L's left and right. When I access the device and select the driver tab, it just shows me basic info about it, lets me disable/uninstall it. I'm not seeing any option to do as you instructed. Ill keep trying, thank you very much for looking into this
since you are seeing install/uninstall options, it sounds to me like you are looking in the Windows driver control panel. that is not the right place. refer to the user manual for the UR22mkII...
http://download.steinberg.net/downloads ... _om_a0.pdf

RM20

Post by RM20 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:24 am

Fishmonkey, you're right. I've referenced the manual and followed the instructions, and I've been searching the web for answers too, but It doesn't appear as it's shown in the manual. and I think the issue is that I don't have the driver installed at all. I'm working on doing that now. Boy do I miss my Mac!

RM20

Post by RM20 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:52 am

Yeah so I'm 90 percent sure I figured this out. For whatever reason the driver wasn't properly installed to begin with, and when I would try to install the setup file, it would freeze up and not install it. So I uninstalled the driver, downloaded/installed the latest one, and voila, it appears where it should and gives me the option to not enable the loopback function. A preliminary test on Ableton looks good, but I'll check back in tomorrow after I plug in my mic, just to be 100 percent sure and to help anyone else who may have this problem in the future.

Thank you to everyone for the help, I don't think I ever would have solved it without you guys. I thought this was an Ableton problem but ended up not being one, so I apologize for attempting to resolve this issue here. But hopefully it will help other Ableton users in the future. Thanks again!

david.barker

Post by david.barker » Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:14 am

Your very welcome RM20 :D

Nice to see everyone helping each other out. Let us know how things are once you have fully tested :D
Dell Optilplex 9010,Windows Pro 10 10 64 bit .16GB ram, Intel i5 3570 chip,@ 3'40GHz 4 cores

RM20

Post by RM20 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:22 pm

Everything works! Thanks again to everyone

david.barker

Post by david.barker » Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:07 pm

RM20 wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:22 pm
Everything works! Thanks again to everyone
Thats awesome!! Glad you got it sorted out :D

Appreciate your post.Onward and upwards to making sweet music (in my case a load of noise.,ha,ha) :mrgreen: