Slice to Sampler question

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
tomorrowstops

Slice to Sampler question

Post by tomorrowstops » Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:35 pm

I've sliced my single audio file into 12 different slices loaded in a single Sampler. (custom preset via Slice to Midi)

However, the Sampler display shows the entire audio file waveform, regardless of what single slice I have selected. I can edit each slice as expected, but it would be helpful to reduce the waveform view to just the slice I've selected.

If start with a blank sampler and drag 12 audio files into it, the sampler display does this as expected.

What am I missing?

siliconarc

Re: Slice to Sampler question

Post by siliconarc » Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:07 pm

The 'Slice to single Sampler' command doesn't actually chop into separate files,
it only adjusts the start & end points of the same referenced sample.

If you want the slices as discrete files, select all zones in Sampler and right-click > Crop Sample.
You'll then have all the slices as audio files in the project folder (Samples/Processed/Crop).

tomorrowstops

Post by tomorrowstops » Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:46 pm

Got it. I see that the samples show up in the folder twice - both as .wavs and .asd. Is there a preference I can change to eliminate the creation of the .asds or do I need to keep those? Further more - is there a way to send files into custom folders? Just trying ti stay organized!

timday

Post by timday » Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:59 pm

.asd files are Live's record of slice points, warp points etc. - not audio files at all. You need to keep them.

siliconarc

Post by siliconarc » Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:28 am

.asd files contain warp data, waveform draw data etc. but they're not necessary in this case. trash em!

tomorrowstops

Post by tomorrowstops » Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:01 pm

Sweet, while messing around I realized that after I 'crop samples,' selecting each slice highlights that specific sample in the sampler display view like I wanted!

Just to review;

What I wanted to do:

1. Record a single audio file of my sound source (guitar, piano, vibes, the noises my dog makes, etc).
2. Chop up the audio file into individual sounds.
3. Trigger those sounds using a sampler device with which all aspects of sound (pitch/time/timbre) can be manipulated.

So far I've found my process to be:

1. Record source audio on iphone and airdrop to computer
2. import source audio to audio track in Live
3. Use warp markers to identify individual sounds
4. Slice to midi - via warp markers; sent to an empty Sampler preset
5. Select all zones and crop samples
6. Save current Sampler state as a new instrument preset.
7. Store cropped sample files for use....wherever.

I've been building virtual modular systems Reaktor with Blocks for this task, but have wanted a little more control along with streamlining efficiency. I challenged myself to building a process for this in my long time DAW, Logic X, but kept getting frustrated with apparent....clunkiness of it. I've ignored Live for years, but through my attempts at learning Logic maneuvers via Youtube - I discovered videos on Live. Downloaded the trial and a week later bought the Suite. Goddamn this program is INCREDIBLE!!!