overwrite a midi clip?

Discuss Push with other users.
laurentius

overwrite a midi clip?

Post by laurentius » Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:04 pm

I try to find a convenient way to 'overwrite' my midi clips on the fly. In a way my goal is to work with clips like with an endless delay where on idea is repeated until I play the next one - know what I mean? :-)
Using Bome one could create some combined commands like delete clip/record, controlled by a foot controller for instance. Is there another way?

Thanks!

jestermgee

Re: overwrite a midi clip?

Post by jestermgee » Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:46 pm

If you use Live 9/10 then you simply need to engage the session record button (if you are in session mode) and play a clip. It will record and "overdub" the notes on the armed track.

If you are in arrangement mode, press the conveniently named "Arrangement Overdub" button and you can now play over an existing track.

Both these controls are in the transport section

laurentius

Post by laurentius » Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:40 pm

I don't want to overdub but overwrite the currently playing midi clip.

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:13 am

Ah, so the opposite of what most want to do.

The issue with that approach is if you do not stop the playback then you simply lose everything

In Live 10 you have capture that does what you are asking in the background. It just records everything you are doing while the Play button is pressed when if you like something you hit the capture button and it loads it onto a new clip.

In Arrangement view you can do what you ask by setting a loop point and disable the overdub function and it will just constantly overwrite what you do erasing what was there previously.

In Session mode I do not believe you can overwrite a clip as it's typically unwanted, you would need to delete clip and start again so it would be best to use Arrangement then if you want to save the clip, drag it into a session slot

laurentius

Post by laurentius » Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:59 pm

Thanks for your answer. It's so funny to me how limited this thing can be. I mean 'replacement or overwrite recording' is such a basic function if you think about it. Right now one has to record a new clip to achieve this but it's totally inconvenient...

Voodoo99

Post by Voodoo99 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:51 pm

How about the looper-device?
The midiclip triggers an instrument. Put the looper in the instrumentoutput.

laurentius

Post by laurentius » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:54 am

Now that's a real good idea. One could use dummy clips via Push session view to make this work quiet intuively. Thanks again!

Dallon426

Post by Dallon426 » Thu May 06, 2021 11:01 am

I would think that this should be an option in clip view as well. The nice thing about clip view is how fast it is to build tracks. And I think the same midi features should be available. It is nice to choose to overdub or over write.

dreadrocksean2

Post by dreadrocksean2 » Fri Jan 06, 2023 2:00 pm

Ableton Looper is not a good solution. The latency is unuseable.