Can I copy and paste time signature changes?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Henry Robinett

Can I copy and paste time signature changes?

Post by Henry Robinett » Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:36 pm

Is there a way to copy and paste time signature changes in arrangement view - the only place I can? I sure hope I can or this is going to be ridiculously tedious.
All the best,

Henry Robinett
Mac Pro 7,1 16 Core 160GB, MP 5,1/32 GB
Metric Halo ULN-8 3d (x6) ULN-2
DP 10, Logic, PT,Live 10, Falcon, VEP, Superior Drummer, Kontakt5, UAD-2 Solo&Duo, Millennia HV3D, Lot's 'o mics . . .

Henry Robinett

Re: Can I copy and paste time signature changes?

Post by Henry Robinett » Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:36 am

Nothing in this? This would’ve a serious pain if I can’t do this. I’ve got this one song that goes from two bars of 3/4 to 4/4 to 2bars of 3/4 to 4/4 to 2/4 and does this throughout the whole piece. I’ve already done the song in something like 1/4 because it was fine back in the day. Not a disaster, I don’t think, if I leave it like that. But I’d like to be able to make it right. We’ll be rehearsing Monday with charts and this Live 10 sequence. I’d there a way to cut and paste time signatures in the arrangement window?
All the best,

Henry Robinett
DP 10, Logic, PT,Live 10, Falcon, VEP, Superior Drummer, Kontakt5, UAD-2 Solo&Duo, Millennia HV3D, Lot's 'o mics . . .

Da hand

Post by Da hand » Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:55 pm

There is a way to copy regions with time signatures in the Arrangement loop brace and "Time" editing.

Create one pass of the time signatures you want. Then with the loop brace select the region you want to duplicate. Click on the lop brace so it selects everything within its region. Right click on the loop brace to get Time editing options. Select "Duplicate Time" and it will duplicate the region with the time signatures as well. You can also choose to copy and paste, cut, etc...

pottering

Post by pottering » Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:16 pm

Da hand wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:55 pm
There is a way to copy regions with time signatures in the Arrangement loop brace and "Time" editing.

Create one pass of the time signatures you want. Then with the loop brace select the region you want to duplicate. Click on the lop brace so it selects everything within its region. Right click on the loop brace to get Time editing options. Select "Duplicate Time" and it will duplicate the region with the time signatures as well. You can also choose to copy and paste, cut, etc...
Thanks!
Seems it doesn't work on the 10.1 beta for some reason (which I use the most), but it does work on 10.0.6 here.
Don't even need to select the loop brace, as long as you have selected time somewhere in Arrangement, Ctrl+shift+D duplicates that selected time.
It does seem a bit buggy, sometimes it adds extra time signatures in the duplicate selection's borders;
♥♥♥

Henry Robinett

Post by Henry Robinett » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:05 pm

Thank you. But is the loop brace only available in the session view -clips windows? The way I've done the time signatures is in the arrangement view. I need to get this because we had a rehearsal today. Only part of the time signatures were done. Then the song's click track on played 3/4 for the remainder, which was the last time signature I entered. This threw the drummer particularly off.

I'm trying to understand.
All the best,

Henry Robinett

Da hand

Post by Da hand » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:27 pm

Henry Robinett wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:05 pm
Thank you. But is the loop brace only available in the session view -clips windows?
There is a loop brace for clips, as you mention, but that is the same whether you are in session view or arrangement - because it is the editing of the clip itself, but not the editing of the Session View or Arrangement view globally. So this clip loop brace is something else than what I am talking about.

In the arrangement view there is a loop brace for the arrangement:

Manual: 6.5 The Arrangement Loop
https://www.ableton.com/en/manual/arran ... ement-loop

Do you see the loop brace just underneath the measure count in the pic below?

Da hand

Post by Da hand » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:51 pm

pottering wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:16 pm
Thanks!
Seems it doesn't work on the 10.1 beta for some reason (which I use the most), but it does work on 10.0.6 here.
Don't even need to select the loop brace, as long as you have selected time somewhere in Arrangement, Ctrl+shift+D duplicates that selected time.
It does seem a bit buggy, sometimes it adds extra time signatures in the duplicate selection's borders;
You are welcome! :)

Yeah betas by definition can be prone to more bugs than final releases :wink:

As for the loop brace, you are right. I just find having the loop brace make the time selection with one click and then having all the Time options listed in one neat menu with the right mouse click without moving my mouse a bit more tidy - rather than having to drag my mouse through things and then going to the main program menu to find the options (if you don't know the shortcut by heart). Just a question of personal preference I guess.

Henry Robinett

Post by Henry Robinett » Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:42 am

Da hand wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:27 pm
Henry Robinett wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:05 pm
Thank you. But is the loop brace only available in the session view -clips windows?
There is a loop brace for clips, as you mention, but that is the same whether you are in session view or arrangement - because it is the editing of the clip itself, but not the editing of the Session View or Arrangement view globally. So this clip loop brace is something else than what I am talking about.

In the arrangement view there is a loop brace for the arrangement:

Manual: 6.5 The Arrangement Loop
https://www.ableton.com/en/manual/arran ... ement-loop

Do you see the loop brace just underneath the measure count in the pic below?

Very much appreciate the help! I see it there. Now I need to see it here. I will investigate. Thank you so much.
All the best,

Henry Robinett

Da hand

Post by Da hand » Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:15 pm

Henry Robinett wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:42 am
Very much appreciate the help! I see it there. Now I need to see it here. I will investigate. Thank you so much.
You are very welcome and I hope you get things working as you would like!

Henry Robinett

Post by Henry Robinett » Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:54 pm

I'm back!! I'm just not getting it. I think Live is way over my head. It'd be great if the manuals or videos were more specific and quick. I don't have the patience to spend weeks in the manual. It's just not making sense. And multiple things are just not making sense to me. I've tried to select and duplicate time over and over but it's not doing it. The problem might be I've already inserted clips and scenes. I select a region, copy time, paste time and it just messes up. Is it me? I'm sure. I'm sure the program works. But I also might be doing something not normal?

From the manual and the help info view: "Duplicate Time places a copy of the selected timespan into the Arrangement, thereby in- creasing its overall duration by the length of the selection."

Huh? It just isn't clear. Increasing it's overall duration by the length of the selection. That doesn't say anything about the time signature. It just duplicates the length of the selection.
All the best,

Henry Robinett

Shellenberger

Post by Shellenberger » Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:20 pm

Seems this still doesn't work in 10.1. It copies the time but doesn't include the time signatures at the top so it's kind of useless as is. Anybody know anything about that?

Thanks in advance.

pottering

Post by pottering » Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:15 pm

Selecting time in the Master Track seems to copy the signatures.
♥♥♥

jonljacobi

Post by jonljacobi » Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:25 pm

pottering wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:15 pm
Selecting time in the Master Track seems to copy the signatures.
That makes perfect sense.

jonljacobi

Post by jonljacobi » Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:34 pm

However, this behavior could use additional visual feedback by highlighting the top area with the time signatures along with the master track.